Re: Moving forward with TDE

From: Chris Travers <chris(dot)travers(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: David Christensen <david+pg(at)pgguru(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Moving forward with TDE
Date: 2023-12-17 06:30:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I was re-reading the patches here and there was one thing I didn't understand.

There are provisions for a separation of data encryption keys for primary and replica I see, and these share a single WAL key.

But if I am setting up a replica from the primary, and the primary is already encrypted, then do these forceably share the same data encrypting keys? Is there a need to have (possibly in a follow-up patch) an ability to decrypt and re-encrypt in pg_basebackup (which would need access to both keys) or is this handled already and I just missed it?

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers