GUC time unit spelling a bit inconsistent

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: GUC time unit spelling a bit inconsistent
Date: 2007-06-18 14:16:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

It seems that time-based GUC variables can be spelled like
1h but not 1hr
1min but not 1m
1s but not 1sec
This is inconsistent and confusing. I don't object to the ones on the
left as being the standard spellings for printout, but if we're not
going to have a simple uniform rule like "shortest possible
abbreviation" then we ought to accept plausible alternatives on input.

I got burnt by this just now because I looked at the autovacuum_naptime
setting in postgresql.conf, which is shown as '1min', and figured I
could change it to '5sec'.