Re: Cognitive dissonance

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, John Gage <jsmgage(at)numericable(dot)fr>, PostgreSQL - General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Cognitive dissonance
Date: 2010-06-10 15:24:00
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-general

> Excerpts from Peter Eisentraut's message of jue jun 10 02:50:14 -0400 2010:
>> As I said back then, doing this is straightforward, but we kind of need
>> more than one user who asks for it before we make it part of a regular
>> service, which comes with maintenance costs.

> Hey, count me as another interested person in a single-file plain-text
> doc output format.

Well, there are two separate things here:

* providing a Makefile target to build plain-text output.

* shipping prebuilt plain text docs in standard distributions.

I am for #1, not so much for #2, mainly on the grounds of size. But
given #1 it would be possible for packagers to make their own choices
about whether to include plain-text docs.