Re: Can a whole server be restored over to another server in a single command?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Kevin Bailey <kbailey(at)freewayprojects(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Can a whole server be restored over to another server in a single command?
Date: 2009-04-11 14:13:54
Lists: pgsql-admin

Kevin Bailey <kbailey(at)freewayprojects(dot)com> writes:
> Can a whole server be restored over to another server in a single command?

The output of pg_dumpall is really meant to be loaded into an empty
server. Although it has a "--clean" switch, that's got serious
limitations and I wouldn't recommend bothering with it.

What exactly is the scenario you are trying to have here? Is this
a poor man's substitute for replication? Do you want the destination
server to include other stuff besides what is coming from the source?