Re: BUG #1518: Conversions to (undocumented) SQL year-month

From: Roy Badami <roy(at)gnomon(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Roy Badami <roy(at)gnomon(dot)org(dot)uk>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #1518: Conversions to (undocumented) SQL year-month
Date: 2005-03-23 23:19:07
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bruce> What happens if you store '13 months' into an interval
Bruce> column that is YEAR TO MONTH? Does extract MONTH return 1
Bruce> or 13?

In standard SQL the MONTH field of INTERVAL YEAR TO MONTH can't
contain a value greater than 11. Though I don't immediately see how
you'd go about storing 13 in the month field. I don't think there's
an analogue of EXTRACT that allows you to set fields, is there?

Bruce> The lack of complaints all these years perhaps means people
Bruce> either don't care or accept the PG behavior.

To be honest, I don't really care :-)

I try to write my SQL in as standard a way as possible, in case I
later want to port to another database...

I would be perfectly happy for

INTERVAL '1' MONTH

to be a syntax error. I just don't like the fact that it gives me a
zero interval.

Taking out the ISO support from the parser is a valid fix as far as
I'm concerned (though actually making it do the ISO thing would
obviously be nicer)

-roy