Re: ALTER COLUMN ... SET EXPRESSION to alter stored generated column's expression

From: ajitpostgres awekar <ajitpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Amul Sul <sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: ALTER COLUMN ... SET EXPRESSION to alter stored generated column's expression
Date: 2023-08-22 07:14:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

make installcheck-world: tested, passed
Implements feature: tested, passed
Spec compliant: tested, passed
Documentation: tested, passed

Hi Amul,
Patch changes look fine.
Below are some of my observations as soon as we alter default expression on column

1. Materialized view becomes stale and starts giving incorrect results. We need to refresh the materialized view to get correct results.
2. Index on generated column need to be reindexed in order to use new expression.
3. Column Stats become stale and plan may be impacted due to outdated stats.

These things also happen as soon as we delete default expression or set default expression on column.

Thanks & Best Regards,
Ajit