Re: MOVE LAST: why?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: MOVE LAST: why?
Date: 2003-01-13 00:44:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

> Hiroshi Inoue wrote:
> Are you suggesting removing FETCH LAST _and_ MOVE LAST?.
>>
>> Yes. Should cursors be positioned on the last row
>> or EOF by MOVE LAST ? Anyway I see no necessity to use
>> the standard keyword LAST currently.
>>
> I think MOVE LAST works well.

> OK, so we will switch it to MOVE END. That seems OK.

What is good about that??? We already have a nonstandard keyword
for this functionality: MOVE ALL. There is no reason to invent another
one.

I tend to agree with Hiroshi that it's a bad idea to add a standard
keyword to represent not-quite-standard behavior. MOVE ALL is our
historical spelling for this functionality, and adding MOVE LAST is
not really bringing anything to the party.