Re: Correct the documentation for work_mem

From: Tristen Raab <tristen(dot)raab(at)highgo(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Sami Imseih <simseih(at)amazon(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Correct the documentation for work_mem
Date: 2023-07-31 20:44:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

make installcheck-world: tested, passed
Implements feature: tested, passed
Spec compliant: not tested
Documentation: tested, passed

Hello,

I've reviewed and built the documentation for the updated patch. As it stands right now I think the documentation for this section is quite clear.

> I'm wondering about adding "and more than one of these operations may
> be in progress simultaneously". Are you talking about concurrent
> sessions running other queries which are using work_mem too?

This appears to be referring to the "sort and hash" operations mentioned prior.

> If so,
> isn't that already covered by the final sentence in the quoted text
> above? if not, what is running simultaneously?

I believe the last sentence is referring to another session that is running its own sort and hash operations. So the first section you mention is describing how sort and hash operations can be in execution at the same time for a query, while the second refers to how sessions may overlap in their execution of sort and hash operations if I am understanding this correctly.

I also agree that changing "sort or hash" to "sort and hash" is a better description.

Tristen