Re: PostgreSQL upgrade -> fails to start server

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Sander Smeenk <ssm+pgsql(at)freshdot(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL upgrade -> fails to start server
Date: 2003-08-29 14:09:15
Lists: pgsql-general

Sander Smeenk <ssm+pgsql(at)freshdot(dot)net> writes:
> To make a long story short: i can't activate that locale again,

Why not? Undoing whatever you did to the locale setup seems a lot
easier task than any other option that's open to you.

I would *not* recommend hand-editing pg_control, even if you got the
CRC correct. There is a reason why we put in code to prevent on-the-fly
changes of locale: it corrupts your indexes. You might be able to get
the postmaster to start, but that wouldn't mean you could trust the
output of pg_dump.