BUG #16857: Postgres Installer fails when user inserts slash / in password field

From: PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: face151(at)windowslive(dot)com
Subject: BUG #16857: Postgres Installer fails when user inserts slash / in password field
Date: 2021-02-07 20:25:09
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 16857
Logged by: Johnny Doughy
Email address: face151(at)windowslive(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 13.1
Operating system: Win 10 - 64bit

When the installer "postgresql-13.1-1-windows-x64.exe" prompted me to enter
a password I entered ////

The installer then shows an error message at the end: "Problem running
post-install step. Installation may not complete correctly
The database cluster initialisation failed."

After checking the installer log file "install-postgresql.log" I found
this:

Script output:
Input Error: Unknown option "////" specified.

On a new installation attempt, I then chose to enter a different password
with no slashes and the installer succeeded without any errors.

Also, the log file shows "initcluster.vbs ran to completion" which suggests
that "initcluster.vbs" failed the first time because of the given password
////.

My assumption is that the forwards slashes were seen as a path by windows
when the installer executes "initcluster.vbs" "username" "////"

Proposed solution:
Do not allow the user to enter a forward slash in the password field in the
installer.