Re: Acclerating INSERT/UPDATE using UPS

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: gene(at)sotech(dot)us, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Hideyuki Kawashima <kawasima(at)cs(dot)tsukuba(dot)ac(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: Acclerating INSERT/UPDATE using UPS
Date: 2007-02-11 07:41:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> I'd like to see a clear explanation of what assumptions are being made
>> and why they represent a useful case.

> Absolutely agreed there.

Just to be clear: I believe our current assumptions can be stated as
"Postgres will not lose data if the kernel and disk drive do not lose
data that they have acknowledged as being successfully fsync'd."
This is independent of any questions about Postgres bugs or measures
that we take to limit the impact of our bugs --- it's about what our
extent of responsibility is. I think that Hideyuki-san is proposing
a different contract for data integrity, and I want to understand what
that contract is and why someone would want it.