Re: pg_dump and large files - is this a problem?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Giles Lean <giles(at)nemeton(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>, "PostgreSQL Development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_dump and large files - is this a problem?
Date: 2002-10-04 03:07:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Giles Lean <giles(at)nemeton(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> When talking of near-current systems with 64 bit off_t you are not
> going to find one without support for 64 bit integral types.

I tend to agree with Giles on this point. A non-integral representation
of off_t is theoretically possible but I don't believe it exists in
practice. Before going far out of our way to allow it, we should first
require some evidence that it's needed on a supported or
likely-to-be-supported platform.

time_t isn't guaranteed to be an integral type either if you read the
oldest docs about it ... but no one believes that in practice ...