Re: Date-time extraneous fields with reserved keywords

From: Keisuke Kuroda <kuroda(dot)keisuke(at)nttcom(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Joseph Koshakow <koshy44(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Date-time extraneous fields with reserved keywords
Date: 2023-03-03 04:41:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

make installcheck-world: tested, passed
Implements feature: tested, passed
Spec compliant: tested, passed
Documentation: tested, passed

Hi Joseph,

Good catch.
Of the reserved words that are special values of type Date/Time,
'now', 'today', 'tomorrow', 'yesterday', and 'allballs',
I get an error even before applying the patch.

One thing I noticed is that the following SQL
returns normal results even after applying the patch.

postgres=# select timestamp 'epoch 01:01:01';
timestamp
---------------------
1970-01-01 00:00:00
(1 row)

When 'epoch','infinity','-infinity' and time are specified together,
the time specified in the SQL is not included in result.
I think it might be better to assume that this pattern is also an error.
What do you think?

As a side note,
reserved words such as 'today', 'tomorrow', and 'yesterday'
can be used to specify a time.

postgres=# select timestamp 'today 01:01:01';
timestamp
2023-03-03 01:01:01
(1 row)

Best Regards,
Keisuke Kuroda
NTT Comware

The new status of this patch is: Waiting on Author