Re: Skytools committed without hackers discussion/review

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Marko Kreen <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)seespotcode(dot)net>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Skytools committed without hackers discussion/review
Date: 2007-10-10 15:04:53
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

> On Wed, Oct 10, 2007 at 03:27:17PM +0300, Marko Kreen wrote:
>> Now txid can change that. E.g. in Skype, it has become irreplaceable
>> tool for coordinating work between several databases. Here we are
>> probably going overboard with usage of queues...

> If it is this irreplacable killer feature, it should *not* be in contrib.
> It should be in the core backend, and we should be discussing if we can
> bend the rules for that.

It may be a killer feature for Skytools and Slony, but even so that's a
small part of our userbase. I see nothing wrong with having it in
contrib now with an eye to migrating to the core later, when and if we
see there's enough demand for that. Another reason for that approach
is that once it's in core it will be very much harder to make any tweaks
to the API; and with the prospective uses being largely unwritten as
yet, it hardly seems unlikely we might not want some changes.

I think our two realistic options today are (1) leave the code where
it is, or (2) remove it. While Jan clearly failed to follow the agreed
procedures, I'm not convinced the transgression was severe enough to
justify (2).