8.0 beta1 and XP SP2

From: Oleg Letsinsky <oleg(at)ourmx(dot)com>
To: PgSQL Win32 developers <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: 8.0 beta1 and XP SP2
Date: 2004-08-27 01:28:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32 pgsql-php

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has tried running PgSQL on XP SP2?

I have a problem with it - quite a big one. I have a perl DBI script
which is a migration tool from old MySQL database format to a new PgSQL
database. So here is a quick summary of the situation.

MySQL (win32) - perl - PgSQL (Linux server) Runs fine, full speed, the
script finishes its work in 20 minutes.

Next, I move PgSQL to the windows side.

MySQL (win32) - perl - PgSQL (win32, XP SP1) Runs fine, just a bit slower
(like 25 minutes)

In both previous cases there were 100% CPU load, HD activity, etc. - two
databases raping poor windows XP workstation.

Next, after SP2 installation - that's here the fun comes. The process can
take hours to complete. Actually, I never had a patience to see it
finished - last time I aborted the process after 2 hours and the damn
thing just finished about 50% of its job. I switched PgSQL back to Linux
without changing anything else - no performance problems. I uninstalled
SP2 and checked again - all is ok, all goes full speed, 25 minutes for
task completion. Reinstalled SP2 - and the problem came back. So for me
it's quite obvious that SP2 has screwed up PgSQL in some way. I've
tried several web forums, IRC - so far nobody seems to get into the
same situation since I'm likely to be the only PgSQL user stupid enough
to try SP2 :)

Now some details on what script does. It's, like I said, a migration
script - it takes data from one database, changes it slightly and puts it
to another one, using simple inserts. Nothing special. Although
pg_restore seems to work just fine even under SP2, no performance
problems.

There's more. I've tried PowerGres database as well. It experiences the
same performance hit, no difference at all.

Some details on the system - WinXP Pro, P4 2.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, 200GB SATA
Seagate drive. I've disabled that firewall thingy and data execution
prevention - again, nothing has changed. I'm out of ideas...

Thanks for any input

--
Oleg Letsinsky,
Software Developer