Re: ODBC Rewrite

From: markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com
To: "Stephen Frost" <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ODBC Rewrite
Date: 2004-12-07 14:55:23
Lists: pgsql-odbc

> * markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com (markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com) wrote:
>> that
>> be
>> >
>> > Saying what 99% of what the ODBC driver does isn't terribly useful-
>> > What's that 1% that libpq can't do? Having looked at the code, can
>> you
>> > give us an idea on that?
>>
>> Off the top of my head, binding data to the SQL statement, reusing
>> statements, stuff like that.
>
> Isn't this handled by PQexecParams and PQexecPrepared?

I had forgotten about those, but I was thinking more along the lines of
SQLBindCol.

>> The ODBC API isn't designed to talk to any one database, so there are no
>> short cuts. Unfortunately, applications based on ODBC assume there are
>> no
>> short cuts, and rely on that behavior.
>
> That's not particularly relevant- the question is if the existing libpq
> API is sufficient for the ODBC driver or not.

You should take a look at:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/odbc/htm/odbcodbc_api_reference.asp

There are a lot of things that would have to be synthisized using libpq,
but could be handled better using some of the primitives.

There were some things that Dave mentioned, but they escape me at the moment.