CONVERT function is seriously broken

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: CONVERT function is seriously broken
Date: 2002-11-02 02:16:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I have just noticed that the implementation of
CONVERT(text USING encoding_name)
tries to do database access during the grammar phase, viz it looks
up the encoding_name in pg_conversion and replaces it with an OID.

This is not workable; consider the situation where we are in an
already-aborted transaction. Using a pg_conversion OID in stored rules
isn't very acceptable either.

Unfortunately, I don't see any way offhand to fix this without an
initdb :-(.