Re: Out of memory

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: Alex Adriaanse <alex(at)innovacomputing(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Out of memory
Date: 2008-03-29 00:07:15
Lists: pgsql-general

> My guess is that the total allocated VM is fairly close to the limit of
> your configuration and that a slightly higher than normal load and a
> background autovacuum took it over the edge. My guess is that if you up
> the swap to 4GB or perhaps 8GB, you'll get a lot more room to manouver.

The bits about

> 2008-03-10 18:43:33 EDT LOG: could not fork new process for connection:
> Cannot allocate memory

certainly suggest that the problem was a global out-of-memory condition
and not just within any one process. I concur with raising swap, but
also with the upthread suggestions to cut down the number of concurrent
connections.

The segfaults (sig11s) are a bit disturbing too --- what that probably
indicates is someplace using malloc() and failing to test for failure,
neither of which is a good thing. Did you by any chance get core dumps
from those? A stack trace would be mighty useful.