Re:

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Ben Osborne" <bosborne(at)bsdmarketing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re:
Date: 2004-10-19 16:30:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Ben Osborne" <bosborne(at)bsdmarketing(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
> Postgres 7.0.2 Problem

> I am having a rather big problem with an installation of postgres 7.0.2 on
> cobalt, in that the db server is unable to see any of the data stored in the
> (only) database which is running (other than template1).

The symptoms seem reasonably consistent with the theory that you have
suffered transaction ID wraparound. How large is the $PGDATA/pg_log
file? If it's exactly 1Gb then this is almost certainly the answer.

> My Question is, is there ANY means by which I can get at the data.

I believe it is possible to reset the transaction counter to something a
little bit less than 4 billion, which will make everything up to that
point appear to be "in the past" again. I have long since forgotten the
details, but digging in the list archives should turn up some discussion
of how to do that in 7.0. Then do a quick pg_dumpall, initdb and
reload.

You should seriously consider updating to a more modern PG version
while you are at it ...