Re: [patch] fix dblink security hole

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
Cc: Tommy Gildseth <tommy(dot)gildseth(at)usit(dot)uio(dot)no>, Postgres Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [patch] fix dblink security hole
Date: 2008-09-23 03:28:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Tommy Gildseth wrote:
>> I'm not quite sure I fully understand the consequence of this change.
>> Does it basically mean that it's not possible to use .pgpass with dblink
>> for authentication?

> It only applies to 8.4 (which is not yet released) and beyond.
> dblink will still work as before for superusers.

The visible, documented behavior actually is not any different from what
it's been in recent PG releases. This change only plugs a possible
security issue that we weren't aware of before, ie, that dblink might
send a password to a server before failing the connect attempt. It will
fail the connect attempt either way, though, so no functionality
changes.