Re: cutting down the TODO list thread

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: cutting down the TODO list thread
Date: 2023-05-13 05:31:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
> I've made another pass at this. Previously, I went one or two sections at a
> time, but this time I tried just skimming the whole thing and noting what
> jumps out at me. Also, I've separated things into three categories: Remove,
> move to "not wanted list", and revise. Comments and objections welcome, as
> always.

Generally agree that the items you've listed are obsolete. Some comments:

> Allow creation of universal binaries for Darwin
> -> From 2008: Is this still a thing?

This entry might stem from 4b362c662. It's still something that nobody
has bothered to make happen, not even after another architecture
transition on Apple's part. And there are things partly outside our
control in the area, see d69a419e6. I doubt it will ever happen.

> Add support for polymorphic arguments and return types to languages other
> than PL/PgSQL
> -> Seems if someone needed this, they would say so (no thread).

I think this is still an issue. Surprised nobody has yet gotten annoyed
enough to do something about it.

> Add support for OUT and INOUT parameters to languages other than PL/PgSQL
> -> Ditto

And ditto.

> Consider allowing control of upper/lower case folding of unquoted
> identifiers
> -> Would we ever consider this?

I think that one's dead as a doornail.

> (ECPG) Fix nested C comments
> -> What needs fixing? It should work fine.

I might be mistaken, but I think 8ac5e88f9 may have fixed this.

> Improve speed of tab completion
> -> Is this still a problem?

I keep worrying that tab-complete.c will become so ungainly as to
present a human-scale performance problem. But there's been pretty
much zero complaints so far. Let's drop this one until some actual
issue emerges.