Re: make \d pg_toast.foo show its indices

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Rafia Sabih <rafia(dot)pghackers(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: make \d pg_toast.foo show its indices
Date: 2019-05-06 15:58:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Rafia Sabih <rafia(dot)pghackers(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Fri, 3 May 2019 at 16:27, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com> wrote:
>> Thanks - what about also showing the associated non-toast table ?

> IMHO, what makes more sense is to show the name of associated toast
> table in the \dt+ of the normal table.

I'm not for that: it's useless information in at least 99.44% of cases.

Possibly it is useful in the other direction as Justin suggests.
Not sure though --- generally, if you're looking at a specific
toast table, you already know which table is its parent. But
maybe confirmation is a good thing.

That seems off-topic for this thread though. I agree with the
stated premise that \d on a toast table should show all the same
information \d on a regular table would.