Re: [HACKERS] 0x1A in control file on Windows

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] 0x1A in control file on Windows
Date: 2008-09-24 01:56:46
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Well, why is that a bug? If the platform is so silly as to define text
>> files that way, who are we to argue?

> The problem is that our pg_controldata might have binary values that
> contain 0x1a that will be confused by the operating system as
> end-of-file.

pg_controldata is certainly already being read as binary. The
discussion here is about *text* files, particularly configuration
files. Why should we not adhere to the platform standard about
what a text file is?

If you need a positive reason why this might be a bad idea, consider the
idea that someone is examining postgresql.conf with a text editor that
stops reading at control-Z. He might not be able to see items that the
postmaster is treating as valid.