Re: BUG #3905: configure cannot find ossp UUID libs and/or includes

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "David Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #3905: configure cannot find ossp UUID libs and/or includes
Date: 2008-01-28 02:43:59
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"David Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com> writes:
> I've installed OSSP UUID 1.6.0 in /usr/local, but configure cannot seem to
> find it when I use --with-ossp-uuid:

Oh, it finds it all right. It's just complaining (not incorrectly) that
uuid.h fails when included after <unistd.h>. AFAICT this is just
cosmetic, since we don't use it that way. If you go ahead and build
then everything should be fine.

I don't know if there's any nice way to make configure avoid
including <unistd.h> while testing uuid.h. Personally I think
libuuid's attempt to usurp typenames that may be defined by the
system headers is hopelessly broken, and that they'd be better off
doing the #define's the other way around, ie, make the underlying
real names of *their* typedefs different. It is just not acceptable
that their header doesn't work if <unistd.h> is included first.