Re: BUG #6024: pg_dump won't dump ALTERed inherited fields

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Panos Christeas" <xrg(at)linux(dot)gr>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #6024: pg_dump won't dump ALTERed inherited fields
Date: 2011-05-12 15:24:13
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Panos Christeas" <xrg(at)linux(dot)gr> writes:
> CREATE TABLE test1(
> id SERIAL PRIMARY KEY,
> name VARCHAR(20) NOT NULL
> );

> CREATE TABLE test2(
> description TEXT
> ) INHERITS(test1);

> ALTER TABLE test2 ALTER name DROP NOT NULL;

> pg_dump that.
> The dump will still have "not null" constraint at test2.name.

This isn't really a pg_dump deficiency. The bug is that we let you do
that ALTER. Inherited constraints shouldn't be droppable, and indeed
are not droppable except in the single case of NOT NULL. This is on the
to-fix list --- in fact there was a patch submitted for it last year,
although it got returned for rework and we've not seen it again yet.