Re: Add Missing From?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Add Missing From?
Date: 2004-08-09 17:07:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> What about
> DELETE FROM staff JOIN users ...
> then?

I don't much care for that, mainly because in my mind "x JOIN y" should
always be semantically equivalent to "y JOIN x". I think we want a real
clear syntactical separation between the deletion target table and the
other tables.

Also we do have the precedent of the way that UPDATE does things. We
don't want to use the keyword FROM because of confusion, but I think
we want to keep it basically the same as UPDATE.