Re: Processing a work queue

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "John D(dot) Burger" <john(at)mitre(dot)org>
Cc: Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Processing a work queue
Date: 2007-04-27 17:18:38
Lists: pgsql-general

"John D. Burger" <john(at)mitre(dot)org> writes:
> I decided to run a periodic vacuum on my work queue. Lo and behold,
> I get this:

> ERROR: tuple concurrently updated

Which PG version is this, and do you have autovacuum enabled? Awhile
back it was possible to get this error if autovac and a manual vacuum
hit the same table concurrently (the error actually stems from trying
to update pg_statistic concurrently during the ANALYZE phase).

> In addition, all of my workers locked up, apparently indefinitely.

[ squint... ] That shouldn't happen. Look into pg_locks to see if
you can determine who's waiting for what.