Re: Collate order on Mac OS X, text with diacritics in UTF-8

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Martin Flahault <martin(at)billjobs(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Collate order on Mac OS X, text with diacritics in UTF-8
Date: 2010-01-14 06:25:05
Lists: pgsql-general

Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> The state of OS X's POSIX-spec locale support is pretty pitiful, but on
>> the whole I'd say if you need better UTF8 locale support you could use
>> another OS.

> Alas, people will want to run Pg on it anyway, especially when bundling
> with an app. It'd be nice if it could be made to work smoothly ... but I
> certainly don't care enough to try! Like you, I favour using an OS that
> follows the specs it claims to support instead.

For the record, I *like* OS X; I'm typing this on a Macbook Pro. But
it doesn't do everything, and one of the things it doesn't do well is
POSIX-spec locale support.

As you now know from having looked at the archives, there've been many
discussions of changing PG to not rely on the platform's locale
support. But the bang-for-buck ratio of any such change doesn't seem
very attractive --- we have a lot of higher priority things to spend
our finite development manpower on.