Re: Query preformence

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Ferdinand Smit <ferdinand(at)telegraafnet(dot)nl>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Query preformence
Date: 2001-11-08 13:44:50
Lists: pgsql-patches

Ferdinand Smit <ferdinand(at)telegraafnet(dot)nl> writes:
>> What? This seems completely redundant with the existing logging tools.

> True, but i can't see any usable function for the statics because they are
> logged without any relation. You don't know what is causing the preformence
> problem.

Sure you do: you look at the execution statistics you don't like and
then look back to see the most recent query logged by the same backend.

I do see an issue here, which is that the STATISTICS messages should be
emitted by elog() so that they will be tagged with a PID when log_pid is
true. But that's easily fixed.

BTW, you might want to look at 7.2's EXPLAIN ANALYZE command as a
different approach.