Re: \0 and IllegalArgumentException

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Vadim Nasardinov <vadimn(at)redhat(dot)com>
Cc: Sebastiaan van Erk <sebster(at)sebster(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: \0 and IllegalArgumentException
Date: 2004-10-29 15:36:38
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Vadim Nasardinov <vadimn(at)redhat(dot)com> writes:
> I think you do have a point though when you say that \0 should be
> allowed (and handled properly).

Don't hold your breath.

Moving away from the zero-terminated-string approach would require
protocol changes (IIRC, the v3 protocol still depends on that in places),
a massive rewrite effort to change every datatype's I/O functions, plus
writing our own locale library because we couldn't use strcoll()
anymore. And that's just the impacts I can think of before having
had any coffee ;-)

While the private locale library might eventually happen anyway, the
other two things are still daunting, mainly because they break a ton of
user code not only the backend.

Basically, the bang for the buck doesn't seem to be there...