Re: determining supported timezones

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: "Robert Treat" <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: determining supported timezones
Date: 2004-07-15 04:31:24
Lists: pgsql-general

>> I am trying to figure out if there is a way to determine the timezones
>> supported in postgresql from within the database. If you look at
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/datetime-keywords.html it
>> notes that time zone information is system dependent,

That documentation is now out of date.

> In 7.5, you can check the files in <pgdir>/share/timezone. There is no
> function in the backend ATM to show them. I've been thinking of adding
> one (as a system view), but didn't get around to it before freeze.

The word "overengineering" comes to mind...

We should simply list the available timezones in the documentation
(there is already an appropriate appendix, IIRC). Generating the table
will require about thiry seconds with "ls", so it hasn't seemed like an
urgent priority to me, but certainly it must be done before release.