Re: 8.0.X and the ARC patent

From: pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com
To: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 8.0.X and the ARC patent
Date: 2005-02-15 01:05:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Might it be possible to contact IBM directly and ask if they will allow
usage of the patent for PostgreSQL. They've let 500 patents for open
source, maybe they'll give a write off for this as well.

There is an advantage beyond just not having to re-write the code, but it
would also be sort of an IBM blessing, great PR.

I will be at "Linux World" and see if there is an IBM booth, maybe I can
get some contact info.