Re: warn if GUC set to an invalid shared library

From: Cary Huang <cary(dot)huang(at)highgo(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Justin Pryzby <justin(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Subject: Re: warn if GUC set to an invalid shared library
Date: 2022-01-28 23:36:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

make installcheck-world: tested, passed
Implements feature: tested, passed
Spec compliant: tested, passed
Documentation: not tested

Hello

I tested the patches on master branch on Ubuntu 18.04 and regression turns out fine. I did a manual test following the query examples in this email thread and I do see the warnings when I attempted: these queries:

postgres=# SET local_preload_libraries=xyz.so;
2022-01-28 15:11:00.592 PST [13622] WARNING: could not access file "xyz.so"
WARNING: could not access file "xyz.so"
SET
postgres=# ALTER SYSTEM SET shared_preload_libraries=abc.so;
2022-01-28 15:11:07.729 PST [13622] WARNING: could not access file "$libdir/plugins/abc.so"
WARNING: could not access file "$libdir/plugins/abc.so"
ALTER SYSTEM

This is fine as this is what these patches are aiming to provide. However, when I try to restart the server, it fails to start because abc.so and xyz.so do not exist. Setting the parameters "local_preload_libraries" and "local_preload_libraries" to something else in postgresql.conf does not seem to take effect either.
It still complains shared_preload_libraries abc.so does not exist even though I have already set shared_preload_libraries to something else in postgresql.conf. This seems a little strange to me

thank you
Cary