Re: tablespaces and DB administration

From: pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com
To: "James Robinson" <jlrobins(at)socialserve(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: tablespaces and DB administration
Date: 2004-05-27 12:41:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Yes, that is generally the case (prefer pg_xlog on separate spindle),
> but no
> need to *forcibly* overcomplicate things if the box has only one
> spindle,
> or if they have only one single RAID'd partition configured. We should
> continue to err on the side of keeping the path to a functional system
> nice and simple, yet still offering superb functionality. Oracle gets
> this
> wrong. pg_autovacuum is another good step in this direction.
>
> ----
> James Robinson
> Socialserve.com

I wouldn't say "forcibly."

While I think everyone would agree, Oracle is the most arcane and
difficult system ever devised by man, one can look at it and bring away
the far too few good things it does do. Similarly, MSSQL likes to user
data and system data separated. Setting user expectation is important,
setting baseline usage by recommendation is important.

One of the places PostgreSQL errs is its default configuration. It is far
to conservitive. The default setup is typically how most users operate
their software. Oracle, while being the worst, has one benefit, it has no
recognizable default, every DBA must slog through endless options to set
it up. In the process they are made aware of the various tuning options
and the flexability of the system.

PostgreSQL, on the other hand, installs easily, and can be used almost
immediately. This is not a problem, per se', but the user is not exposed
to how to make the system perform well unless they read the manual beyond
the "installation." (which we know they won't) Compounding the problem,
various parameters in the default configuration file are too small for
serious servers.

I would love to re-write the installation chapter and perhaps add a
section on generic database tuning. Specifically, like my "PostgreSQL for
Windows" CD a couple years ago, I like to see three sections: "Personal,"
"Workgroup," and "server" configuration tips. I think we've all seen bad
reviews because people used PostgreSQL's default configuration.