Re: Feature Request: DDL + RegExp - definitions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Richard Broersma <richard(dot)broersma(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Feature Request: DDL + RegExp - definitions
Date: 2011-08-24 18:19:26
Lists: pgsql-general

Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 11:30 AM, Richard Broersma
>> The following email illustrates the behavior that is undesirable (to me).
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org/msg11482.html

> this is IMO not a feature, but a bug.

No, it's not a bug, it's just an unfortunate side-effect of the pushups
we've had to go through to get to standard conforming strings.

I seriously doubt that we would add a feature of the sort Richard
suggests, because with standard_conforming_strings turned on (which is
the default as of 9.1), there is no issue. Forcing E'' syntax would
make the results of pg_getviewdef less standards-compliant, not more so,
and that's not a direction we want to go in.

If you find the warnings about backslashes annoying and unhelpful, you
can turn off escape_string_warning --- they're only there to help
identify code that is likely to have an issue when moved to an
environment with standard_conforming_strings turned on.