Re: Re: pgsql: add EPERM to the list of return codes to expect from opening

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Greg Stark <stark(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "<pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: pgsql: add EPERM to the list of return codes to expect from opening
Date: 2010-03-01 15:01:09
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

> Actually, I think that may be your problem - you are testing against
> EPERM instead of EACCESS. On my linux manpage, EPERM isn't even a
> valid return code from open().

Yeah, I had just come to the same conclusion upon seeing the buildfarm
still pink this morning. On my old HPUX box these codes are defined as

/usr/include/sys/errno.h:#define EPERM 1 /* Not super-user */
/usr/include/sys/errno.h:#define EACCES 13 /* Permission denied */

so EPERM seems like the wrong mapping for such an error anyway.

BTW, in case anyone with admin privileges is paying attention, the
buildfarm (a) is about two hours off on its system clock again,
and (b) hasn't sent out a daily status-change summary email since
Friday.