Re: [pgadmin-support] questions about cursors

From: Sim Zacks <sim(at)compulab(dot)co(dot)il>
To: Anton Andreev <fn30762(at)fmi(dot)uni-sofia(dot)bg>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [pgadmin-support] questions about cursors
Date: 2007-04-26 13:09:05
Lists: pgadmin-support pgsql-general

Anton,

Wrong mailing list. You should send this type of query to
pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org in the future. The documentation is confusing,
though. Try This:
CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION database_correction()
RETURNS double precision AS
$BODY$
DECLARE
mycursor CURSOR FOR select distinct(fund_id) from
"NAV_values_bfb_history";
iterator integer;

BEGIN
open mycursor;

FETCH mycursor INTO iterator;

while found Loop
-- some computations here
FETCH mycursor INTO iterator;
END LOOP;

CLOSE mycursor;
END;

Thank You
Sim Zacks
IT Manager
CompuLab
04-829-0145 - Office
04-832-5251 - Fax

Hi,

I am trying to use cursors and I am really frustrated already. Do I
need to install an extension?

1. Problem number one is that what ever I use in front of the fetch
command it is not being accepted, it gives a syntax error. If I use a
number ,"all" or "forward" it gives an error again?????????? I want to
do something like the code below:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION database_correction()
RETURNS double precision AS
$BODY$
DECLARE
mycursor CURSOR FOR select distinct(fund_id) from
"NAV_values_bfb_history";
iterator integer;

BEGIN
open mycursor;

FETCH mycursor INTO iterator;

--fetch next from mycursor --gives an error

WHILE (FETCH next from mycursor) LOOP
-- some computations here
END LOOP;

CLOSE mycursor;
END;

2. What is the right way to check that the cursor has ended. In
sqlserver there is a variable "@@fetch_status". I have to make here some
comparison in the while clause, but I am not sure what it should be. I
could not find a single example for cursor in a loop.

I will greatly appreciate any help, pgsql is my database of choice.

Cheers,
Anton