PostgreSQL Weekly News - November 14, 2021

From: PWN via PostgreSQL Announce <announce-noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL Announce <pgsql-announce(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PostgreSQL Weekly News - November 14, 2021
Date: 2021-11-15 20:16:03
Lists: pgsql-announce

# PostgreSQL Weekly News - November 14, 2021

PostgreSQL 14.1, 13.5, 12.9, 11.14, 10.19, and 9.6.24
[released](https://www.postgresql.org/about/news/postgresql-141-135-129-1114-1019-and-9624-released-2349/).
This is the final release in the 9.6 series, so put those upgrade plans in
action if you haven't already.

# PostgreSQL Product News

Pgpool-II 4.3 beta1 a connection pooler and statement replication system for
PostgreSQL,
[released](https://www.pgpool.net/docs/43/en/html/release-4-3-0.html)

Odyssey 1.2, a multi-threaded connection pooler for PostgreSQL, released.
https://github.com/yandex/odyssey/releases

pgbouncer 1.16.1, a connection pooler and more for PostgreSQL,
[released](https://www.pgbouncer.org/2021/11/pgbouncer-1-16-1)

# PostgreSQL Jobs for November

[https://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jobs/2021-11/](https://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jobs/2021-11/)

# PostgreSQL in the News

Planet PostgreSQL: [https://planet.postgresql.org/](https://planet.postgresql.org/)

PostgreSQL Weekly News is brought to you this week by David Fetter

Submit news and announcements by Sunday at 3:00pm PST8PDT to david(at)fetter(dot)org(dot)

# Applied Patches

David Rowley pushed:

- Fix incorrect hash equality operator bug in Memoize. In v14, because we don't
have a field in RestrictInfo to cache both the left and right type's hash
equality operator, we just restrict the scope of Memoize to only when the left
and right types of a RestrictInfo are the same. In master we add another
field to RestrictInfo and cache both hash equality operators. Reported-by:
Jaime Casanova Author: David Rowley Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/20210929185544.GB24346%40ahch-to](https://postgr.es/m/20210929185544.GB24346%40ahch-to)
Backpatch-through: 14
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/39a3105678a247bbfdc132cd95db5b515b8cd7f6](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/39a3105678a247bbfdc132cd95db5b515b8cd7f6)

Tom Lane pushed:

- Reject extraneous data after SSL or GSS encryption handshake. The server
collects up to a bufferload of data whenever it reads data from the client
socket. When SSL or GSS encryption is requested during startup, any
additional data received with the initial request message remained in the
buffer, and would be treated as already-decrypted data once the encryption
handshake completed. Thus, a man-in-the-middle with the ability to inject data
into the TCP connection could stuff some cleartext data into the start of a
supposedly encryption-protected database session. This could be abused to
send faked SQL commands to the server, although that would only work if the
server did not demand any authentication data. (However, a server relying on
SSL certificate authentication might well not do so.) To fix, throw a
protocol-violation error if the internal buffer is not empty after the
encryption handshake. Our thanks to Jacob Champion for reporting this
problem. Security: CVE-2021-23214
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/28e24125541545483093819efae9bca603441951](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/28e24125541545483093819efae9bca603441951)

- libpq: reject extraneous data after SSL or GSS encryption handshake. libpq
collects up to a bufferload of data whenever it reads data from the socket.
When SSL or GSS encryption is requested during startup, any additional data
received with the server's yes-or-no reply remained in the buffer, and would
be treated as already-decrypted data once the encryption handshake completed.
Thus, a man-in-the-middle with the ability to inject data into the TCP
connection could stuff some cleartext data into the start of a supposedly
encryption-protected database session. This could probably be abused to
inject faked responses to the client's first few queries, although other
details of libpq's behavior make that harder than it sounds. A different line
of attack is to exfiltrate the client's password, or other sensitive data that
might be sent early in the session. That has been shown to be possible with a
server vulnerable to CVE-2021-23214. To fix, throw a protocol-violation error
if the internal buffer is not empty after the encryption handshake. Our
thanks to Jacob Champion for reporting this problem. Security: CVE-2021-23222
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/160c0258802d10b0600d7671b1bbea55d8e17d45](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/160c0258802d10b0600d7671b1bbea55d8e17d45)

- Fix incorrect format placeholder. Per buildfarm warnings.
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/b0cf5444f9a8d915b2e9b44790025f17a7dc107f](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/b0cf5444f9a8d915b2e9b44790025f17a7dc107f)

- Fix instability in 026_overwrite_contrecord.pl test. We've seen intermittent
failures in this test on slower buildfarm machines, which I think can be
explained by assuming that autovacuum emitted some additional WAL. Disable
autovacuum to stabilize it. In passing, use stringwise not numeric comparison
to compare WAL file names. Doesn't matter at present, but they are hex
strings not decimal ... Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/1372189.1636499287@sss.pgh.pa.us](https://postgr.es/m/1372189.1636499287@sss.pgh.pa.us)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/b66767b56b1cd082f3499a7e5a21b480dd004f51](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/b66767b56b1cd082f3499a7e5a21b480dd004f51)

- Doc: improve protocol spec for logical replication Type messages.
protocol.sgml documented the layout for Type messages, but completely dropped
the ball otherwise, failing to explain what they are, when they are sent, or
what they're good for. While at it, do a little copy-editing on the
description of Relation messages. In passing, adjust the comment for
apply_handle_type() to make it clearer that we choose not to do anything when
receiving a Type message, not that we think it has no use whatsoever. Per
question from Stefen Hillman. Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/CAPgW8pMknK5pup6=T4a_UG=Cz80Rgp=KONqJmTdHfaZb0RvnFg@mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CAPgW8pMknK5pup6=T4a_UG=Cz80Rgp=KONqJmTdHfaZb0RvnFg@mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/c3b33698cf88550b017620f73b94b53029897f39](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/c3b33698cf88550b017620f73b94b53029897f39)

- Fall back to unsigned int, not int, for socklen_t. It's a coin toss which of
these is a better default assumption. However, of the machines we have in the
buildfarm, the only ones relying on the fallback socklen_t definition are
ancient HPUX, and on that platform unsigned int is the right choice. Minor
tweak to ee3a1a5b6. Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/1440792.1636558888@sss.pgh.pa.us](https://postgr.es/m/1440792.1636558888@sss.pgh.pa.us)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/01ec41a5fe4aa590dde18a2c551432aa1925caea](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/01ec41a5fe4aa590dde18a2c551432aa1925caea)

- postgres_fdw: suppress casts on constants in limited cases. When deparsing an
expression of the form "remote_var OP constant", we'd normally apply a cast to
the constant to make sure that the remote parser thinks it's of the same type
we do. However, doing so is often not necessary, and it causes problems if
the user has intentionally declared the local column as being of a different
type than the remote column. A plausible use-case for that is using text to
represent a type that's an enum on the remote side. A comparison on such a
column will get shipped as "var = 'foo'::text", which blows up on the remote
side because there's no enum = text operator. But if we simply leave off the
explicit cast, the comparison will do exactly what the user wants. It's
possible to do this without major risk of semantic problems, by relying on the
longstanding parser heuristic that "if one operand of an operator is of type
unknown, while the other one has a known type, assume that the unknown operand
is also of that type". Hence, this patch leaves off the cast only if (a) the
operator inputs have the same type locally; (b) the constant will print as a
string literal or NULL, both of which are initially taken as type unknown; and
(c) the non-Const input is a plain foreign Var. Rule (c) guarantees that the
remote parser will know the type of the non-Const input; moreover, it means
that if this cast-omission does cause any semantic surprises, that can only
happen in cases where the local column has a different type than the remote
column. That wasn't guaranteed to work anyway, and this patch should
represent a net usability gain for such cases. One point that I (tgl) remain
slightly uncomfortable with is that we will ignore an implicit RelabelType
when deciding if the non-Const input is a plain Var. That makes it a little
squishy to argue that the remote should resolve the Const as being of the same
type as its Var, because then our Const is not the same type as our Var.
However, if we don't do that, then this hack won't work as desired if the user
chooses to use varchar rather than text to represent some remote column. That
seems useful, so do it like this for now. We might have to give up the
RelabelType-ignoring bit if any problems surface. Dian Fay, with review and
kibitzing by me Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/C9LU294V7K4F.34LRRDU449O45@lamia](https://postgr.es/m/C9LU294V7K4F.34LRRDU449O45@lamia)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/f8abb0f5e114d8c309239f0faa277b97f696d829](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/f8abb0f5e114d8c309239f0faa277b97f696d829)

- Make psql's \password default to CURRENT_USER, not PQuser(conn). The
documentation says plainly that \password acts on "the current user" by
default. What it actually acted on, or tried to, was the username used to log
into the current session. This is not the same thing if one has since done
SET ROLE or SET SESSION AUTHENTICATION. Aside from the possible surprise
factor, it's quite likely that the current role doesn't have permissions to
set the password of the original role. To fix, use "SELECT CURRENT_USER" to
get the role name to act on. (This syntax works with servers at least back to
7.0.) Also, in hopes of reducing confusion, include the role name that will
be acted on in the password prompt. The discrepancy from the documentation
makes this a bug, so back-patch to all supported branches. Patch by me;
thanks to Nathan Bossart for review. Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/747443.1635536754@sss.pgh.pa.us](https://postgr.es/m/747443.1635536754@sss.pgh.pa.us)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/d6eb5a0c258d3da5471814bcc6ed6498129fee16](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/d6eb5a0c258d3da5471814bcc6ed6498129fee16)

Robert Haas pushed:

- Minimal fix for unterminated tar archive problem. Commit
23a1c6578c87fca0e361c4f5f9a07df5ae1f9858 improved pg_basebackup's ability to
parse tar archives, but also arranged to parse them only when we need to make
some modification to the contents of the archive. That's a problem, because
the server doesn't actually terminate tar archives. When the new parsing logic
was engaged, pg_basebackup would properly terminate the tar file, but when it
was skipped, pg_basebackup would just write whatever it got from the server,
meaning that the terminator was missing. Most versions of tar are willing to
overlook the missing terminator, but the AIX buildfarm animals were not. Fix
by inventing a new kind of bbstreamer that just blindly adds a terminator, and
using it whenever we don't parse the tar archive. Discussion:
[http://postgr.es/m/CA+TgmoZbNzsWwM4BE5Jb_qHncY817DYZwGf+2-7hkMQ27ZwsMQ@mail.gmail.com](http://postgr.es/m/CA+TgmoZbNzsWwM4BE5Jb_qHncY817DYZwGf+2-7hkMQ27ZwsMQ@mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/57b5a9646d97a3e8a5b6b6d86b375cc8da6ac85c](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/57b5a9646d97a3e8a5b6b6d86b375cc8da6ac85c)

- Have the server properly terminate tar archives. Earlier versions of
PostgreSQL featured a version of pg_basebackup that wanted to edit tar
archives but was too dumb to parse them properly. The server made things
easier for the client by failing to add the two blocks of zero bytes that
ought to end a tar file, leaving it up to the client to do that. But since
commit 23a1c6578c87fca0e361c4f5f9a07df5ae1f9858, we don't need this hack any
more, because pg_basebackup is now smarter and can parse tar files even if
they are properly terminated! So change the server to always properly
terminate the tar files. Older versions of pg_basebackup can't talk to new
servers anyway, so there's no compatibility break. On the pg_basebackup side,
we see still need to add the terminating zero bytes if we're talking to an
older server, but not when the server is v15+. Hopefully at some point we'll
be able to remove some of this compatibility cruft, but it seems best to hang
on to it for now. In passing, add a file header comment to bbstreamer_tar.c,
to make it clearer what's going on here. Discussion:
[http://postgr.es/m/CA+TgmoZbNzsWwM4BE5Jb_qHncY817DYZwGf+2-7hkMQ27ZwsMQ@mail.gmail.com](http://postgr.es/m/CA+TgmoZbNzsWwM4BE5Jb_qHncY817DYZwGf+2-7hkMQ27ZwsMQ@mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/5a1007a5088cd6ddf892f7422ea8dbaef362372f](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/5a1007a5088cd6ddf892f7422ea8dbaef362372f)

- More cleanup of 'ThisTimeLineID'. In XLogCtlData, rename the structure member
ThisTimeLineID to InsertTimeLineID and update the comments to make clear that
it's only expected to be set after recovery is complete. In StartupXLOG,
replace the local variables ThisTimeLineID and PrevTimeLineID with new local
variables replayTLI and newTLI. In the old scheme, ThisTimeLineID was the
replay TLI until we created a new timeline, and after that the replay TLI was
in PrevTimeLineID. Now, replayTLI is the TLI from which we last replayed WAL
throughout the entire function, and newTLI is either that, or the new timeline
created upon promotion. Remove some misleading comments from the comment
block just above where recoveryTargetTimeLineGoal and friends are declared.
It's become incorrect, not only because ThisTimeLineID as a variable is now
gone, but also because the rmgr code does not care about ThisTimeLineID and
has not since what used to be the TLI field in the page header was repurposed
to store the page checksum. Add a comment GetFlushRecPtr that it's only
supposed to be used in normal running, and an assertion to verify that this is
so. Per some ideas from Michael Paquier and some of my own. Review by Michael
Paquier also. Discussion:
[http://postgr.es/m/CA+TgmoY1a2d1AnVR3tJcKmGGkhj7GGrwiNwjtKr21dxOuLBzCQ@mail.gmail.com](http://postgr.es/m/CA+TgmoY1a2d1AnVR3tJcKmGGkhj7GGrwiNwjtKr21dxOuLBzCQ@mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/a27048cbcb582056bfbf15aa2f898b4a3ec74304](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/a27048cbcb582056bfbf15aa2f898b4a3ec74304)

- Fix thinko in assertion in basebackup.c. Commit
5a1007a5088cd6ddf892f7422ea8dbaef362372f tried to introduce an assertion that
the block size was at least twice the size of a tar block, but I got the math
wrong. My error was reported to me off-list.
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/10eae82b27cebbb9586cda8baf8e3226496891d0](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/10eae82b27cebbb9586cda8baf8e3226496891d0)

- Improve performance of pgarch_readyXlog() with many status files. Presently,
the archive_status directory was scanned for each file to archive. When there
are many status files, say because archive_command has been failing for a long
time, these directory scans can get very slow. With this change, the archiver
remembers several files to archive during each directory scan, speeding things
up. To ensure timeline history files are archived as quickly as possible,
XLogArchiveNotify() forces the archiver to do a new directory scan as soon as
the .ready file for one is created. Nathan Bossart, per a long discussion
involving many people. It is not clear to me exactly who out of all those
people reviewed this particular patch. Discussion:
[http://postgr.es/m/CA+TgmobhAbs2yabTuTRkJTq_kkC80-+jw=pfpypdOJ7+gAbQbw@mail.gmail.com](http://postgr.es/m/CA+TgmobhAbs2yabTuTRkJTq_kkC80-+jw=pfpypdOJ7+gAbQbw@mail.gmail.com)
[http://postgr.es/m/620F3CE1-0255-4D66-9D87-0EADE866985A@amazon.com](http://postgr.es/m/620F3CE1-0255-4D66-9D87-0EADE866985A@amazon.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/beb4e9ba1652a04f66ff20261444d06f678c0b2d](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/beb4e9ba1652a04f66ff20261444d06f678c0b2d)

Amit Kapila pushed:

- Rename some enums to use TABLE instead of REL. Commit 5a2832465f introduced
some enums to represent all tables in schema publications and used REL in
their names. Use TABLE instead of REL in those enums to avoid confusion with
other objects like SEQUENCES that can be part of a publication in the future.
In the passing, (a) Change one of the newly introduced error messages to make
it consistent for Create and Alter commands, (b) add missing alias in one of
the SQL Statements that is used to print publications associated with the
table. Reported-by: Tomas Vondra, Peter Smith Author: Vignesh C Reviewed-by:
Hou Zhijie, Peter Smith Discussion:
[https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CALDaNm0OANxuJ6RXqwZsM1MSY4s19nuH3734j4a72etDwvBETQ%40mail.gmail.com](https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CALDaNm0OANxuJ6RXqwZsM1MSY4s19nuH3734j4a72etDwvBETQ%40mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/b3812d0b9bcf00e8478186fc287940e17912248a](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/b3812d0b9bcf00e8478186fc287940e17912248a)

Fujii Masao pushed:

- doc: Add index entries for pg_stat_statements configuration parameters.
Author: Ken Kato Reviewed-by: Julien Rouhaud, Fujii Masao Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/699cfd8170178db087e54c954b21ece4@oss.nttdata.com](https://postgr.es/m/699cfd8170178db087e54c954b21ece4@oss.nttdata.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/ec21779a5847ed89fab19431abbdba794d4a998e](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/ec21779a5847ed89fab19431abbdba794d4a998e)

Michaël Paquier pushed:

- Make some comments use the term "ProcSignal" for consistency. The surroundings
in procsignal.c prefer using "ProcSignal" rather than "procsignal". Author:
Bharath Rupireddy Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/CALj2ACX99ghPmm1M_O4r4g+YsXFjCn=qF7PeDXntLwMpht_Gdg@mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CALj2ACX99ghPmm1M_O4r4g+YsXFjCn=qF7PeDXntLwMpht_Gdg@mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/4cd046c203bbca2955182f78eabc06e831ffdbb1](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/4cd046c203bbca2955182f78eabc06e831ffdbb1)

- Improve error messages for some callers of XLogReadRecord(). A couple of code
paths related to logical decoding (WAL sender, slot advancing, etc.) use
XLogReadRecord(), feeding on error messages generated by walreader.c on a
failure. All those messages have no context, making it harder to spot from
where an error could come even if these should not happen. All the other
callers of XLogReadRecord() do that already. Reviewed-by: Kyotaro Horiguchi
[https://postgr.es/m/YYnTH6OyOwQcAdkw@paquier.xyz](https://postgr.es/m/YYnTH6OyOwQcAdkw@paquier.xyz)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/c9c401a5e13accc4a3a775e3feeabdc5940c9178](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/c9c401a5e13accc4a3a775e3feeabdc5940c9178)

- Clean up compilation warnings coming from PL/Perl with clang-12~. clang-12 has
introduced -Wcompound-token-split-by-macro, that is causing a large amount of
warnings when building PL/Perl because of its interactions with upstream Perl.
This commit adds one -Wno to CFLAGS at ./configure time if the flag is
supported by the compiler to silence all those warnings. Upstream perl has
fixed this issue, but it is going to take some time before this is spread
across the buildfarm, and we have noticed that some animals would be useful
with an extra -Werror to help with the detection of incorrect placeholders
(see b0cf544), dangomushi being one. Reviewed-by: Tom Lane Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/YYr3qYa/R3Gw+Sbg(at)paquier(dot)xyz](https://postgr.es/m/YYr3qYa/R3Gw+Sbg(at)paquier(dot)xyz)
Backpatch-through: 10
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/9ff47ea414c4e6ace347fc4e59866e38b9bbceaf](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/9ff47ea414c4e6ace347fc4e59866e38b9bbceaf)

- Fix buffer overrun in unicode string normalization with empty input.
PostgreSQL 13 and newer versions are directly impacted by that through the SQL
function normalize(), which would cause a call of this function to write one
byte past its allocation if using in input an empty string after recomposing
the string with NFC and NFKC. Older versions (v10~v12) are not directly
affected by this problem as the only code path using normalization is SASLprep
in SCRAM authentication that forbids the case of an empty string, but let's
make the code more robust anyway there so as any out-of-core callers of this
function are covered. The solution chosen to fix this issue is simple, with
the addition of a fast-exit path if the decomposed string is found as empty.
This would only happen for an empty string as at its lowest level a codepoint
would be decomposed as itself if it has no entry in the decomposition table or
if it has a decomposition size of 0. Some tests are added to cover this issue
in v13~. Note that an empty string has always been considered as normalized
(grammar "IS NF[K]{C,D} NORMALIZED", through the SQL function is_normalized())
for all the operations allowed (NFC, NFD, NFKC and NFKD) since this feature
has been introduced as of 2991ac5. This behavior is unchanged but some tests
are added in v13~ to check after that. I have also checked "make
normalization-check" in src/common/unicode/, while on it (works in 13~, and
breaks in older stable branches independently of this commit). The release
notes should just mention this commit for v13~. Reported-by: Matthijs van der
Vleuten Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/17277-0c527a373794e802@postgresql.org](https://postgr.es/m/17277-0c527a373794e802@postgresql.org)
Backpatch-through: 10
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/098c134556664d37b78ae87853a82f4a9d23a2c8](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/098c134556664d37b78ae87853a82f4a9d23a2c8)

- Fix memory overrun when querying pg_stat_slru. pg_stat_get_slru() in
pgstatfuncs.c would point to one element after the end of the array
PgStat_SLRUStats when finishing to scan its entries. This had no direct
consequences as no data from the extra memory area was read, but static
analyzers would rightfully complain here. So let's be clean. While on it,
this adds one regression test in the area reserved for system views.
Reported-by: Alexander Kozhemyakin, via AddressSanitizer Author: Kyotaro
Horiguchi Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/17280-37da556e86032070@postgresql.org](https://postgr.es/m/17280-37da556e86032070@postgresql.org)
Backpatch-through: 13
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/a45ed975c58fde7303eeae488b313bf0314383f7](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/a45ed975c58fde7303eeae488b313bf0314383f7)

Peter Eisentraut pushed:

- Remove check for accept() argument types. This check was used to accommodate a
staggering variety in particular in the type of the third argument of
accept(). This is no longer of concern on currently supported systems. We
can just use socklen_t in the code and put in a simple check that substitutes
int for socklen_t if it's missing, to cover the few stragglers. Reviewed-by:
Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> Discussion:
[https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/3538f4c4-1886-64f2-dcff-aaad8267fb82@enterprisedb.com](https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/3538f4c4-1886-64f2-dcff-aaad8267fb82@enterprisedb.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/ee3a1a5b636b69dde33d68c428dd56b3389a4538](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/ee3a1a5b636b69dde33d68c428dd56b3389a4538)

- Fix incorrect format placeholders.
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/733e0391536dad99a2677ca5e19291854da5730f](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/733e0391536dad99a2677ca5e19291854da5730f)

- doc: Add referential actions to CREATE/ALTER TABLE synopsis. The general
constraint synopsis references "referential_action", but this was not further
defined in the synopsis section. Compared to the level of detail that the
synopsis gives to other subclauses, this should surely be there. extracted
from a patch by Paul Martinez <hellopfm(at)gmail(dot)com> Discussion:
[https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CACqFVBZQyMYJV=njbSMxf+rbDHpx=W=B7AEaMKn8dWn9OZJY7w(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com](https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CACqFVBZQyMYJV=njbSMxf+rbDHpx=W=B7AEaMKn8dWn9OZJY7w(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/db9f287711ac49d9799f93f664d6d101ff8f5891](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/db9f287711ac49d9799f93f664d6d101ff8f5891)

Jeff Davis pushed:

- Add pg_checkpointer predefined role for CHECKPOINT command. Any user with the
privileges of pg_checkpointer can issue a CHECKPOINT command. Reviewed-by:
Stephen Frost Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/67a1d667e8ec228b5e07f232184c80348c5d93f4.camel%40j-davis.com](https://postgr.es/m/67a1d667e8ec228b5e07f232184c80348c5d93f4.camel%40j-davis.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/4168a4745492cd54a0ffffc271b452525ef4dc60](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/4168a4745492cd54a0ffffc271b452525ef4dc60)

Álvaro Herrera pushed:

- Restore lock level to set vacuum flags. Commit 27838981be9d mistakenly reduced
the lock level from exclusive to shared that is acquired to set
PGPROC->statusFlags; this was reverted by dcfff74fb166, but failed to do so in
one spot. Fix it. Backpatch to 14. Noted by Andres Freund. Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/20211111020724.ggsfhcq3krq5r4hb@alap3.anarazel.de](https://postgr.es/m/20211111020724.ggsfhcq3krq5r4hb@alap3.anarazel.de)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/0726c764bc4ec337a0216a546ce41c758d81600d](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/0726c764bc4ec337a0216a546ce41c758d81600d)

Peter Geoghegan pushed:

- Update another obsolete reference in vacuumlazy.c. Addresses an oversight in
commit 7ab96cf6.
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/eb9baef8e92adf81c6adbe44f1d67878d850bff7](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/eb9baef8e92adf81c6adbe44f1d67878d850bff7)

- Update heap_page_prune() free space map comments. It is up to the
heap_page_prune() caller to decide what to do about updating the FSM for a
page following pruning. Update old comments that address what we might want
to do as if it was the responsibility of heap_page_prune() itself.
heap_page_prune() doesn't have enough high-level context to make a sensible
choice.
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/42f9427aa98a2245d29737e0f3b8aaf39a7f57ec](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/42f9427aa98a2245d29737e0f3b8aaf39a7f57ec)

- Explain pruning pgstats accounting subtleties. Add a comment explaining why
the pgstats accounting used during opportunistic heap pruning operations (to
maintain the current number of dead tuples in the relation) needs to
compensate by subtracting away the number of new LP_DEAD items. This is
needed so it can avoid completely forgetting about tuples that become LP_DEAD
items during pruning -- they should still count. It seems more natural to
discuss this issue at the only relevant call site (opportunistic pruning),
since the same issue does not apply to the only other caller (the VACUUM call
site). Move everything there too. Author: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
[https://postgr.es/m/CAH2-Wzm7f+A6ej650gi_ifTgbhsadVW5cujAL3punpupHff5Yg@mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CAH2-Wzm7f+A6ej650gi_ifTgbhsadVW5cujAL3punpupHff5Yg@mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/b0f7425ec2445678f32381de8bd3174d3cc2167e](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/b0f7425ec2445678f32381de8bd3174d3cc2167e)

Noah Misch pushed:

- Report any XLogReadRecord() error in XlogReadTwoPhaseData(). Buildfarm members
kittiwake and tadarida have witnessed errors at this site. The site discarded
key facts. Back-patch to v10 (all supported versions). Reviewed by Michael
Paquier and Tom Lane. Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/20211107013157.GB790288@rfd.leadboat.com](https://postgr.es/m/20211107013157.GB790288@rfd.leadboat.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/335474691054a74d771f0e7c24d25e800e3a37b6](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/335474691054a74d771f0e7c24d25e800e3a37b6)

Andrew Dunstan pushed:

- Report found versions of required perl modules. Configure tests for the
presence of perl modules required for TAP tests, and that they meet specified
minimum version requirements. This patch makes it report the version of the
module that's actually found rather than just an 'ok' message. This will help
in deciding if we can upgrade minimum requirements for these modules.
[https://postgr.es/m/f5e1d308-4e33-37a7-bdf1-f6e0c75119de@dunslane.net](https://postgr.es/m/f5e1d308-4e33-37a7-bdf1-f6e0c75119de@dunslane.net)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/1593998ae858902e805eb0f8bf3b019399044471](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/1593998ae858902e805eb0f8bf3b019399044471)

Daniel Gustafsson pushed:

- Document PG_TEST_NOCLEAN in TAP test README. Commit 90627cf98 added support
for retaining the data directory even on successful tests, but failed to
document the environment variable which controls retention. This adds a small
note to the TAP test README about PG_TEST_NOCLEAN which when set skips
removing the data directories from successful tests. Reviewed-by: Tom Lane
<tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/2B02C1B3-3F41-4E14-92B9-005D83623A0B@yesql.se](https://postgr.es/m/2B02C1B3-3F41-4E14-92B9-005D83623A0B@yesql.se)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/05d8785af2a192d436df5b7734aacb4e0bab5da8](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/05d8785af2a192d436df5b7734aacb4e0bab5da8)