Re: newbie ?'s

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Clayton Vernon" <cvernon(at)enron(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: newbie ?'s
Date: 2001-04-26 15:31:41
Lists: pgsql-general

"Clayton Vernon" <cvernon(at)enron(dot)com> writes:
> 1) Do you have to specify in advance the full number of processes, or does =
> it dynamically manage them ala Apache?

You have to set an upper limit on the max number of server processes.
This is mainly to prevent Postgres from taking over your system ;-).
Hopefully you can set it high enough to not be a problem in practice.

> 2) If your site was busy, will requests queue up civilly or will they typic=
> ally bomb right away if they can't find an idle process.

Connections will be refused if the server process limit is reached.

> 5) This seemingly full-fledged password overhead is worrisome. Is this tedi=
> ous to manage in practice? Can the same (quasi-generic) user be reading the=
> database from many simultaneous processes?

There are several different options for authentication methods ---
probably you can find one that matches your combination of security and
simplicity concerns. Yes, the same userid can be used for multiple
connections at once.