Re: MySQL Gets Functions in Java - Enlightenment Please

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com, Paul Thomas <paul(at)tmsl(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk>, Shridhar Daithankar <shridhar_daithankar(at)myrealbox(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: MySQL Gets Functions in Java - Enlightenment Please
Date: 2003-12-22 16:02:15
Lists: pgsql-general

Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net> writes:
> On Sat, 2003-12-20 at 13:04, Dave Cramer wrote:
>> Is it more desirable to have a single java vm and communicate via RPC,
>> or some other mechanism?

> If you fire up the jvm at connection creation time rather than at first
> pljava function call, wouldn't that make things much simpler and faster
> per process?

You could possibly support both approaches by using the "library preload"
mechanism that Joe Conway developed recently. That is, the DBA can
either:

* Preload pljava, whereupon a JVM is created by the postmaster, and the
connection to this JVM is passed down to each backend and shared by
them.

* Do nothing, whereupon each backend that actually makes any pljava
function calls would have to start a JVM upon its first call.

I could see either of these approaches being the more efficient,
depending on how much pljava work is done in a given installation.
So being able to support both seems attractive.