Re: dfmgr additional ABI version fields

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: dfmgr additional ABI version fields
Date: 2021-10-07 19:15:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net> writes:
> On 10/07/21 12:42, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Can we make the addition be a string not a number, so that we
>> could include something more useful than "1234" in the error
>> message?

> Just using a string like "EDB v" + something would probably rule out
> collisions in practice. To be more formal about it, something like
> the tag URI scheme [0] could be recommended.

Hmm. Personally I'm more interested in the string being comprehensible to
end users than in whether there's any formal rule guaranteeing uniqueness.
I really doubt that we will have any practical problem with collisions,
so I'd rather go with something like "EnterpriseDB v1.2.3" than with
something like "tag:enterprisedb.com,2021:1.2.3".

Conceivably we could have two strings, or a printable string and
a chosen-at-random unique number (the latter not meant to be shown
to users). Not sure it's worth the trouble though.