|From:||Gilles Darold via PostgreSQL Announce <announce-noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>|
|To:||PostgreSQL Announce <pgsql-announce(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>|
|Subject:||pg_dumpbinary v2.5 released|
|Views:||Raw Message | Whole Thread | Download mbox | Resend email|
**Libreville, Gabon - Sept 8th, 2021**
`pg_dumpbinary` is a program used to dump a PostgreSQL database with
data dumped in binary format. The resulting dump must be restored
using `pg_restorebinary` that is provided with this tool.
pg_dumpbinary 2.5 was released today, this new release adds support to
data restoration in tables with altered structure.
pg_dumpbinary will now create a file `meta-schema.<tablename>.txt` per
table that stores the tables columns list at export time. At restore
time pg_restore binary will read this file if present, or get the target
columns list from the pre-data section dumped. The target list will be
appended to the `COPY FROM` command to avoid error messages like
"ERROR: row field count is 28, expected 29". This is necessary for tables
from upgraded extensions with more columns or if you try to import data
only into an existent table with more columns.
`pg_dumpbinary` is useful in some situations:
* you have bytea that can not be exported by `pg_dump` because the
total size of the escape/hex output exceed 1Gb.
* you have custom type that stores `\0` internally in bytea but data
are returned as char/varchar/text which truncate data after
the '\0'. In this case pg_dump will export data in the output
type which will result in data lost.
* any other case where binary format can be useful.
If you are in this case `pg_dumpbinary` will help you by dumping the
PostgreSQL database in binary format. In all other cases you must
use the pg_dump/pg_restore commands distributed with PostgreSQL.
See documentation for a complete description of the features.
## Links & Credits
pg_dumpbinary is an open project from [LzLabs GmbH](https://www.lzlabs.com/).
Any contribution to build a better tool is welcome. You just have to send
your ideas, features requests or patches using the GitHub tools.
* Documentation: [https://github.com/lzlabs/pg_dumpbinary/blob/master/README.md](https://github.com/lzlabs/pg_dumpbinary/blob/master/README.md)
* Download: [https://github.com/lzlabs/pg_dumpbinary/releases/](https://github.com/lzlabs/pg_dumpbinary/releases/)
* Support: use GitHub report tool at [https://github.com/lzlabs/pg_dumpbinary/pg_dumpbinary/issues](https://github.com/lzlabs/pg_dumpbinary/pg_dumpbinary/issues)
|Next Message||PWN via PostgreSQL Announce||2021-09-13 11:03:50||PostgreSQL Weekly News - September 12, 2021|
|Previous Message||Red Hat via PostgreSQL Announce||2021-09-07 14:13:11||pgagroal 1.3.0|