BUG #16311: Zero sized WAL archive logs on DAS

From: PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: ss(dot)vamsikrishna(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: BUG #16311: Zero sized WAL archive logs on DAS
Date: 2020-03-23 16:27:25
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 16311
Logged by: vamsi krishna
Email address: ss(dot)vamsikrishna(at)gmail(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 12.1
Operating system: Centos 7.6

Hi PG support,
I am having this issue with PostgreSQL 12.1, on Centos 7.6. When I lose
server suddenly, I see a lot of empty zero-sized WAL files in the archive
logs. I have enabled the archive logs on the .conf. This archive log is
present on a DAS LVM disk on the server. Why are there so many empty
zero-sized WAL files in the archive logs, why it did not sync? Is this a
known issue with PostgreSQL, I have seen the same behavior with PostgreSQL
9.6 as well. I have been deleting these zero-sized WAL files or populating
it to 16MB for recovery. What does usually DBA do to tackle these zero-sized
WAL files?
Thanks and best regards
Krishna