Psycopg 3.0 beta 1 released!

From: Psycopg Development Team via PostgreSQL Announce <announce-noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL Announce <pgsql-announce(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Psycopg 3.0 beta 1 released!
Date: 2021-09-01 13:02:38
Lists: pgsql-announce

We are immensely proud to release on PyPI the first beta package of Psycopg 3!

Psycopg 3 is a complete rewrite of Psycopg 2, maintaining the same fundamental
libpq wrapper architecture and DB-API interface design, but exposing new
features to better work with the newer versions of Python and PostgreSQL.

On the Python side, Psycopg 3 allows the use of asyncio-based concurrency and
static typing. Many improvement to the Python interface make the library much
simpler and more idiomatic to use,

On the PostgreSQL side, Psycopg 3 makes use of server-side parameters,
prepared statements, binary parameters, and great support for COPY operations.

But the most outstanding feature of the project is not a technical one:
Psycopg 3 was made possible by the great generosity of many [sponsors](https://www.psycopg.org/sponsors/), who have funded the development of the
project. Among the many backers, we are especially grateful to [Postgres
Professional](https://postgrespro.com/) and [Command Prompt, Inc](https://www.commandprompt.com/), which have given the most outstanding
support. But many other companies and individuals, each one in their capacity,
have shown concrete support for free software development and progress. We
sincerely hope that you will find this work useful and that you will feel
proud for having contributed to it.

[https://www.psycopg.org/sponsors/](https://www.psycopg.org/sponsors/)

Where do we go from here? The hope is that the interface of the adapter will
not change excessively before a definitive 3.0 release: the project has
already been used in a few production environments, in the past months, and a
lot of real world feedback has already helped to improve the interface and
functionalities. We invite you to test the project and give us your feedback.
So...

pip install -U pip
pip install --pre psycopg[binary]

Please try it, test it, and let us know how it goes!

For more info you can dive into the docs: start from the [install](https://www.psycopg.org/psycopg3/docs/basic/install.html) and [usage](https://www.psycopg.org/psycopg3/docs/basic/usage.html) pages, I'm sure you will find your way.

Happy hacking!