Re: WIP: preloading of ispell dictionary

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Takahiro Itagaki <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIP: preloading of ispell dictionary
Date: 2010-03-23 07:42:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

2010/3/23 Takahiro Itagaki <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>:

> Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> I wrote some small patch, that allow preloading of  selected ispell
>> dictionary. It solve the problem with slow tsearch initialisation with
>> some language configuration.
>>
>> I afraid so this module doesn't help on MS Windows.
>
> I think it should work on all platforms if we include it into the core.
> We should continue to research shared memory or mmap approaches.
>
> The fundamental issue seems to be in the slow initialization of
> dictionaries. If so, how about adding a pre-complile tool to convert
> a dictionary into a binary file, and each backend simply mmap it?

It means loading about 25MB from disc. for every first tsearch query -
sorry, I don't believe can be good.

> BTW, SimpleAllocContextCreate() is not used at all in the patch.
> Do you still need it?

yes - I needed it. Without Simple Allocator cz configuration takes
48MB. There are a few parts has to be supported by Simple Allocator -
other hasn't significant impact - so I don't ugly more code. In my
first path I verify so dictionary data are read only so I was
motivated to use Simple Allocator everywhere. It is not necessary for
preload method.

Pavel