Re: 8.5 vs. 9.0, Postgres vs. PostgreSQL

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andrew Chernow <ac(at)esilo(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>, Mark Mielke <mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc>, Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>, Brendan Jurd <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.5 vs. 9.0, Postgres vs. PostgreSQL
Date: 2010-01-23 05:33:15
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgsql-hackers

2010/1/23 Andrew Chernow <ac(at)esilo(dot)com>:
> Tom Lane wrote:

>>> Something that comes after black, but before white.
>>
>> Yeah.  As best I can tell, most newbies think that PostgreSQL means
>> Postgre-SQL --- they're not too sure what "Postgre" is, but they guess
>> it must be the specific name of the product.  And that annoys those of
>> us who would rather they pronounced it "Postgres".  But in terms of
>> recognizability of the product it's not a liability.  The business about
>> pronunciation is a red herring.  It's just as unclear whether MySQL is
>
> My personal experience has shown that people not familiar with the project
> can't remember it's name (even 10 minutes after I said it).  It doesn't
> really roll off your tongue, unless you count tree nodes in your sleep.
>  This "may" have an affect on the project's reach.
>
> I am not really advocating a name change, but if a different name makes
> postgresql more popular, however silly that may seem, then I am all for it.
> This is a difficult marketing decision.

I am not sure so different name makes postgresql more popular - it is
marketing for short-live products. If I can speak some: for Czech
language - the pronunciation of PostgreSQL in Czech isn't any problem.
PostgreSQL is mark with very good reputation - and some pople will go
from Oracle or MySQL, I'll have a better job then to explain so
Postgres is PostgreSQL.

so for me -1

Pavel