Re: proposal sql: labeled function params

From: "Pavel Stehule" <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Gregory Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Decibel! <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, "Hannu Krosing" <hannu(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: proposal sql: labeled function params
Date: 2008-08-23 19:19:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> So for a bit of useless syntactic sugar we should introduce conflicts with
> named parameters, conflicts with operators, introduce an un-sqlish syntax and
> remove a feature users have already made use of and introduce backwards
> compatibility issues for those users?

we talk only about "=>" symbol. What I googled, I never to find any
database that use AS for named params, and I don't really to create
next proprietary syntax (I would not to wait to ANSI). AS is usable,
but I don't think so it is good idea - it change sense of AS keyword
in SQL.

Oracle: fce (param => expr)
MSSQL: fce @param = expr
Firebird 2.0 allows defaults, but doesn't support named params

> At any point in this discussion has anyone explained why these labels would
> actually be a good idea?

it's allows smart libraries like SQL/XML
regards
Pavel Stehule