Re: Project idea for Google Summer of Code

From: "Pavel Stehule" <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Дмитрий Кириллов <dmitri(dot)kirillov(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Project idea for Google Summer of Code
Date: 2008-03-24 09:21:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello

On 24/03/2008, Дмитрий Кириллов <dmitri(dot)kirillov(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hello, hackers!
>
> I have very simple (but IMHO very progressive) idea for Google SoC project:
>
> My idea is to add package (and "package group") concepts to PL/pgSQL &

Packages are really important. Two notes: a) PostgreSQL is not Oracle
compatible database, but ANSI SQL database - some similar to packages
are modules (described in SQL/PSM standard - Persistent Stored Modules
(SQL/PSM)), b) PostgreSQL has others languages too. Some solution
should support plperl, plpython too.

> to front-end such functionality with a special Mono project for
> PostgreSQL server-side development.

it's little bit different task. And maybe big work for some months.
It's can be nice topic too - add interface for Mono external
procedures. Well support of Microsoft .NET procedures need lot of
work.

Regards
Pavel Stehule