Re: Python 3.1 support

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Python 3.1 support
Date: 2009-11-12 21:06:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Here's the patch to support Python >=3.1 with PL/Python. The
> compatibility code is mostly in line with the usual 2->3 C porting
> practice and is documented inline.

There was considerable debate earlier about whether we wanted to treat
Python 3 as a separate PL so it could be available in parallel with
plpython 2, because of the user-level coding incompatibilities. It
looks like this patch simply ignores that problem. What is going to
happen to plpython functions that depend on 2.x behavior?