PostgreSQL Weekly News - July 11, 2021

From: PWN via PostgreSQL Announce <announce-noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL Announce <pgsql-announce(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PostgreSQL Weekly News - July 11, 2021
Date: 2021-07-12 08:08:27
Lists: pgsql-announce

# PostgreSQL Weekly News - July 11, 2021

[Person of the week](https://postgresql.life/post/daniel_westermann/)

# PostgreSQL Product News

pg-wrapper 1.0.0, a wrapper for PHP's pgsql extension,
[released](https://github.com/sad-spirit/pg-wrapper/releases).

JDBC 42.2.23 released
https://jdbc.postgresql.org/documentation/changelog.html#version_42.2.23

Ora2Pg 22.1, a tool for migrating Oracle databases to PostgreSQL, released.
[https://github.com/darold/ora2pg/blob/master/changelog](https://github.com/darold/ora2pg/blob/master/changelog)

credcheck 0.1.1, a password checking mechanism for plain text passwords,
[released](https://github.com/MigOpsRepos/credcheck/releases/tag/0.1.1)

pg_builder 1.0.0 a PHP query builder for PostgreSQL,
[released](https://github.com/sad-spirit/pg-builder/releases).

PG-Strom 3.0, a PostgreSQL extension which uses GPUs and related hardware to
accelerate OLAP queries,
[released](http://heterodb.github.io/pg-strom/release_v3.0/).

Datasentinel Version 2021.05, an application that monitors and reports on, among
other things, PostgreSQL,
[released](https://www.datasentinel.io/documentation/release-notes.html)

# PostgreSQL Jobs for July

[https://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jobs/2021-07/](https://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jobs/2021-07/)

# PostgreSQL in the News

Planet PostgreSQL: [https://planet.postgresql.org/](https://planet.postgresql.org/)

PostgreSQL Weekly News is brought to you this week by David Fetter

Submit news and announcements by Sunday at 3:00pm PST8PDT to david(at)fetter(dot)org(dot)

# Applied Patches

Amit Kapila pushed:

- Doc: Hash Indexes. A new chapter for Hash Indexes, designed to help users
understand how they work and when to use them. Backpatch-through 10 where we
have made hash indexes durable. Author: Simon Riggs Reviewed-By: Justin
Pryzby, Amit Kapila Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/CANbhV-HRjNPYgHo--P1ewBrFJ-GpZPb9_25P7=Wgu7s7hy_sLQ@mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CANbhV-HRjNPYgHo--P1ewBrFJ-GpZPb9_25P7=Wgu7s7hy_sLQ@mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/e360aa0530b6d1f9e43f2aca760203de0421ef5e](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/e360aa0530b6d1f9e43f2aca760203de0421ef5e)

- Refactor function parse_subscription_options. Instead of using multiple
parameters in parse_subscription_options function signature, use the struct
SubOpts that encapsulate all the subscription options and their values. It
will be useful for future work where we need to add other options in the
subscription. Also, use bitmaps to pass the supported and retrieve the
specified options much like the way it is done in the commit a3dc926009.
Author: Bharath Rupireddy Reviewed-By: Peter Smith, Amit Kapila, Alvaro
Herrera Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/CALj2ACXtoQczfNsDQWobypVvHbX2DtgEHn8DawS0eGFwuo72kw@mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CALj2ACXtoQczfNsDQWobypVvHbX2DtgEHn8DawS0eGFwuo72kw@mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/8aafb02616753f5c6c90bbc567636b73c0cbb9d4](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/8aafb02616753f5c6c90bbc567636b73c0cbb9d4)

Peter Eisentraut pushed:

- doc: Fix quoting markup.
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/903d9aa7801e3198ca24e90be805362ad11b6ec3](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/903d9aa7801e3198ca24e90be805362ad11b6ec3)

- Improve error messages about mismatching relkind. Most error messages about a
relkind that was not supported or appropriate for the command was of the
pattern "relation \"%s\" is not a table, foreign table, or materialized
view" This style can become verbose and tedious to maintain. Moreover, it's
not very helpful: If I'm trying to create a comment on a TOAST table, which is
not supported, then the information that I could have created a comment on a
materialized view is pointless. Instead, write the primary error message
shorter and saying more directly that what was attempted is not possible.
Then, in the detail message, explain that the operation is not supported for
the relkind the object was. To simplify that, add a new function
errdetail_relkind_not_supported() that does this. In passing, make use of
RELKIND_HAS_STORAGE() where appropriate, instead of listing out the relkinds
individually. Reviewed-by: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> Reviewed-by:
Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org> Discussion:
[https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/dc35a398-37d0-75ce-07ea-1dd71d98f8ec(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com](https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/dc35a398-37d0-75ce-07ea-1dd71d98f8ec(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/2ed532ee8c474e9767e76e1f3251cc3a0224358c](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/2ed532ee8c474e9767e76e1f3251cc3a0224358c)

Dean Rasheed pushed:

- Prevent numeric overflows in parallel numeric aggregates. Formerly various
numeric aggregate functions supported parallel aggregation by having each
worker convert partial aggregate values to Numeric and use numeric_send() as
part of serializing their state. That's problematic, since the range of
Numeric is smaller than that of NumericVar, so it's possible for it to
overflow (on either side of the decimal point) in cases that would succeed in
non-parallel mode. Fix by serializing NumericVars instead, to avoid the
overflow risk and ensure that parallel and non-parallel modes work the same.
A side benefit is that this improves the efficiency of the
serialization/deserialization code, which can make a noticeable difference to
performance with large numbers of parallel workers. No back-patch due to risk
from changing the binary format of the aggregate serialization states, as well
as lack of prior field complaints and low probability of such overflows in
practice. Patch by me. Thanks to David Rowley for review and performance
testing, and Ranier Vilela for an additional suggestion. Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/CAEZATCUmeFWCrq2dNzZpRj5+6LfN85jYiDoqm+ucSXhb9U2TbA@mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CAEZATCUmeFWCrq2dNzZpRj5+6LfN85jYiDoqm+ucSXhb9U2TbA@mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/f025f2390e13d7da69da595086fb982bbaf7f329](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/f025f2390e13d7da69da595086fb982bbaf7f329)

- Fix numeric_mul() overflow due to too many digits after decimal point. This
fixes an overflow error when using the numeric `*` operator if the result has
more than 16383 digits after the decimal point by rounding the result.
Overflow errors should only occur if the result has too many digits *before*
the decimal point. Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/CAEZATCUmeFWCrq2dNzZpRj5+6LfN85jYiDoqm+ucSXhb9U2TbA@mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CAEZATCUmeFWCrq2dNzZpRj5+6LfN85jYiDoqm+ucSXhb9U2TbA@mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/e7fc488ad67caaad33f6d5177081884495cb81cb](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/e7fc488ad67caaad33f6d5177081884495cb81cb)

Tom Lane pushed:

- Rethink blocking annotations in detach-partition-concurrently-[34]. In
741d7f104, I tried to make the reports from canceled steps come out after the
pg_cancel_backend() steps, since that was the most common ordering before.
However, that doesn't ensure that a canceled step doesn't report even later,
as shown in a recent failure on buildfarm member idiacanthus. Rather than
complicating things even more with additional annotations, let's just force
the cancel's effect to be reported first. It's not *that* unnatural-looking.
Back-patch to v14 where these test cases appeared. Report:
[https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=idiacanthus&dt=2021-07-02%2001%3A40%3A04](https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=idiacanthus&dt=2021-07-02%2001%3A40%3A04)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/c04c767059b8460b99f6aa4aae5450ab3ee257a3](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/c04c767059b8460b99f6aa4aae5450ab3ee257a3)

- Reduce overhead of cache-clobber testing in LookupOpclassInfo(). Commit
03ffc4d6d added logic to bypass all caching behavior in LookupOpclassInfo when
CLOBBER_CACHE_ALWAYS is enabled. It doesn't look like I stopped to think much
about what that would cost, but recent investigation shows that the cost is
enormous: it roughly doubles the time needed for cache-clobber test runs.
There does seem to be value in this behavior when trying to test the
opclass-cache loading logic itself, but for other purposes the cost is
excessive. Hence, let's back off to doing this only when
debug_invalidate_system_caches_always is at least 3; or in older branches,
when CLOBBER_CACHE_RECURSIVELY is defined. While here, clean up some other
minor issues in LookupOpclassInfo. Re-order the code so we aren't left with
broken cache entries (leading to later core dumps) in the unlikely case that
we suffer OOM while trying to allocate space for a new entry. (That seems to
be my oversight in 03ffc4d6d.) Also, in >= v13, stop allocating one array
entry too many. That's evidently left over from sloppy reversion in
851b14b0c. Back-patch to all supported branches, mainly to reduce the runtime
of cache-clobbering buildfarm animals. Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/1370856.1625428625@sss.pgh.pa.us](https://postgr.es/m/1370856.1625428625@sss.pgh.pa.us)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/9753324b7d9eba0aaf7e12942f52c240bfc7da7c](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/9753324b7d9eba0aaf7e12942f52c240bfc7da7c)

- Doc: add info about timestamps with fractional-minute UTC offsets. Our code
has supported fractional-minute UTC offsets for ages, but there was no mention
of the possibility in the main docs, and only a very indirect reference in
Appendix B. Improve that. Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/162543102827.697.5755498651217979813@wrigleys.postgresql.org](https://postgr.es/m/162543102827.697.5755498651217979813@wrigleys.postgresql.org)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/ab2e19987ff66f83dfb99b5c541d9e05e8b0ede3](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/ab2e19987ff66f83dfb99b5c541d9e05e8b0ede3)

- Avoid doing catalog lookups in postgres_fdw's conversion_error_callback. As in
50371df26, this is a bad idea since the callback can't really know what error
is being thrown and thus whether or not it is safe to attempt catalog
accesses. Rather than pushing said accesses into the mainline code where
they'd usually be a waste of cycles, we can look at the query's rangetable
instead. This change does mean that we'll be printing query aliases (if any
were used) rather than the table or column's true name. But that doesn't seem
like a bad thing: it's certainly a more useful definition in self-join cases,
for instance. In any case, it seems unlikely that any applications would be
depending on this detail, so it seems safe to change. Patch by me. Original
complaint by Andres Freund; Bharath Rupireddy noted the connection to
conversion_error_callback. Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/20210106020229.ne5xnuu6wlondjpe@alap3.anarazel.de](https://postgr.es/m/20210106020229.ne5xnuu6wlondjpe@alap3.anarazel.de)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/c7b7311f6177b90fe5033b8ed2c10dfcbb863eb6](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/c7b7311f6177b90fe5033b8ed2c10dfcbb863eb6)

- Reduce the cost of planning deeply-nested views. Joel Jacobson reported that
deep nesting of trivial (flattenable) views results in O(N^3) growth of
planning time for N-deep nesting. It turns out that a large chunk of this cost
comes from copying around the "subquery" sub-tree of each view's RTE_SUBQUERY
RTE. But once we have successfully flattened the subquery, we don't need that
anymore, because the planner isn't going to do anything else interesting with
that RTE. We already zap the subquery pointer during setrefs.c (cf.
add_rte_to_flat_rtable), but it's useless baggage earlier than that too.
Clearing the pointer as soon as pull_up_simple_subquery is done with the RTE
reduces the cost from O(N^3) to O(N^2); which is still not great, but it's
quite a lot better. Further improvements will require rethinking of the RTE
data structure, which is being considered in another thread. Patch by me;
thanks to Dean Rasheed for review. Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/797aff54-b49b-4914-9ff9-aa42564a4d7d@www.fastmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/797aff54-b49b-4914-9ff9-aa42564a4d7d@www.fastmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/64919aaab45076445051245c9bcd48dd84abebe7](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/64919aaab45076445051245c9bcd48dd84abebe7)

- Allow CustomScan providers to say whether they support projections.
Previously, all CustomScan providers had to support projections, but there may
be cases where this is inconvenient. Add a flag bit to say if it's supported.
Important item for the release notes: this is non-backwards-compatible since
the default is now to assume that CustomScan providers can't project, instead
of assuming that they can. It's fail-soft, but could result in visible
performance penalties due to adding unnecessary Result nodes. Sven Klemm,
reviewed by Aleksander Alekseev; some cosmetic fiddling by me. Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/CAMCrgp1kyakOz6c8aKhNDJXjhQ1dEjEnp+6KNT3KxPrjNtsrDg@mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CAMCrgp1kyakOz6c8aKhNDJXjhQ1dEjEnp+6KNT3KxPrjNtsrDg@mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/955b3e0f9269639fb916cee3dea37aee50b82df0](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/955b3e0f9269639fb916cee3dea37aee50b82df0)

- Fix crash in postgres_fdw for provably-empty remote UPDATE/DELETE. In
86dc90056, I'd written find_modifytable_subplan with the assumption that if
the immediate child of a ModifyTable is a Result, it must be a projecting
Result with a subplan. However, if the UPDATE or DELETE has a
provably-constant-false WHERE clause, that's not so: we'll generate a dummy
subplan with a childless Result. Add the missing null-check so we don't crash
on such cases. Per report from Alexander Pyhalov. Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/b9a6f53549456b2f3e2fd150dcd79d72@postgrespro.ru](https://postgr.es/m/b9a6f53549456b2f3e2fd150dcd79d72@postgrespro.ru)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/b9734c13f168ef0d487aa122e486ca9b6dd6aa59](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/b9734c13f168ef0d487aa122e486ca9b6dd6aa59)

- Reject cases where a query in WITH rewrites to just NOTIFY. Since the executor
can't cope with a utility statement appearing as a node of a plan tree, we
can't support cases where a rewrite rule inserts a NOTIFY into an
INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE command appearing in a WITH clause of a larger query.
(One can imagine ways around that, but it'd be a new feature not a bug fix,
and so far there's been no demand for it.) RewriteQuery checked for this, but
it missed the case where the DML command rewrites to *only* a NOTIFY. That'd
lead to crashes later on in planning. Add the missed check, and improve the
level of testing of this area. Per bug #17094 from Yaoguang Chen. It's been
busted since WITH was introduced, so back-patch to all supported branches.
[https://postgr.es/m/17094-bf15dff55eaf2e28@postgresql.org](https://postgr.es/m/17094-bf15dff55eaf2e28@postgresql.org)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/a9da1934e971b38ab360ce80a352fbfc4d2d986b](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/a9da1934e971b38ab360ce80a352fbfc4d2d986b)

- Update configure's probe for libldap to work with OpenLDAP 2.5. The separate
libldap_r is gone and libldap itself is now always thread-safe. Unfortunately
there seems no easy way to tell by inspection whether libldap is thread-safe,
so we have to take it on faith that libldap is thread-safe if there's no
libldap_r. That should be okay, as it appears that libldap_r was a standard
part of the installation going back at least 20 years. Report and patch by
Adrian Ho. Back-patch to all supported branches, since people might try to
build any of them with a newer OpenLDAP. Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/17083-a19190d9591946a7@postgresql.org](https://postgr.es/m/17083-a19190d9591946a7@postgresql.org)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/d0a02bdb8c2576b5aa607f127320e444080bd579](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/d0a02bdb8c2576b5aa607f127320e444080bd579)

- Avoid creating a RESULT RTE that's marked LATERAL. Commit 7266d0997 added code
to pull up simple constant function results, converting the RTE_FUNCTION RTE
to a dummy RTE_RESULT RTE since it no longer need be scanned. But I forgot to
clear the LATERAL flag if the RTE has it set. If the function reduced to a
constant, it surely contains no lateral references so this simplification is
logically OK. It's needed because various other places will Assert that
RESULT RTEs aren't LATERAL. Per bug #17097 from Yaoguang Chen. Back-patch to
v13 where the faulty code came in. Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/17097-3372ef9f798fc94f@postgresql.org](https://postgr.es/m/17097-3372ef9f798fc94f@postgresql.org)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/d23ac62afa646b7073a7f0db0a137308459a263b](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/d23ac62afa646b7073a7f0db0a137308459a263b)

- Un-break AIX build. In commit d0a02bdb8, I'd supposed that uniformly probing
for ldap_bind would make the intent clearer. However, that seems not to work
on AIX, for obscure reasons (maybe it's a macro there?). Revert to the former
behavior of probing ldap_simple_bind for thread-safe cases and ldap_bind
otherwise. Per buildfarm member hoverfly. Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/17083-a19190d9591946a7@postgresql.org](https://postgr.es/m/17083-a19190d9591946a7@postgresql.org)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/31e8cfac5845fa57e1805f4ff81e00ab78dff025](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/31e8cfac5845fa57e1805f4ff81e00ab78dff025)

- Un-break AIX build, take 2. I incorrectly diagnosed the reason why hoverfly is
unhappy. Looking closer, it appears that it fails to link libldap unless
libssl is also present; so the problem was my idea of clearing LIBS before
making the check. Revert to essentially the original coding, except that
instead of failing when libldap_r isn't there, use libldap. Per buildfarm
member hoverfly. Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/17083-a19190d9591946a7@postgresql.org](https://postgr.es/m/17083-a19190d9591946a7@postgresql.org)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/53c38a086a8001d63401671755638bc95c7fa1c7](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/53c38a086a8001d63401671755638bc95c7fa1c7)

- Fix busted test for ldap_initialize. Sigh ... I was expecting AC_CHECK_LIB to
do something it didn't, namely update LIBS. This led to not finding
ldap_initialize. Fix by moving the probe for ldap_initialize. In some sense
this is more correct anyway, since (at least for now) we care about whether
ldap_initialize exists in libldap not libldap_r. Per buildfarm member elver
and local testing. Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/17083-a19190d9591946a7@postgresql.org](https://postgr.es/m/17083-a19190d9591946a7@postgresql.org)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/9f6be2e79f88c65cef7cfeb0580e8b2ba74974f6](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/9f6be2e79f88c65cef7cfeb0580e8b2ba74974f6)

- Lock the extension during ALTER EXTENSION ADD/DROP. Although we were careful
to lock the object being added or dropped, we failed to get any sort of lock
on the extension itself. This allowed the ALTER to proceed in parallel with a
DROP EXTENSION, which is problematic for a couple of reasons. If both
commands succeeded we'd be left with a dangling link in pg_depend, which would
cause problems later. Also, if the ALTER failed for some reason, it might try
to print the extension's name, and that could result in a crash or (in older
branches) a silly error message complaining about extension "(null)". Per bug
#17098 from Alexander Lakhin. Back-patch to all supported branches.
[https://postgr.es/m/17098-b960f3616c861f83@postgresql.org](https://postgr.es/m/17098-b960f3616c861f83@postgresql.org)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/626731db26ae2617e41536678440c3817128a006](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/626731db26ae2617e41536678440c3817128a006)

Michaël Paquier pushed:

- Use WaitLatch() instead of pg_usleep() at the end of backups. This concerns
pg_stop_backup() and BASE_BACKUP, when waiting for the WAL segments required
for a backup to be archived. This simplifies a bit the handling of the wait
event used in this code path. Author: Bharath Rupireddy Reviewed-by: Michael
Paquier, Stephen Frost Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/CALj2ACU4AdPCq6NLfcA-ZGwX7pPCK5FgEj-CAU0xCKzkASSy_A@mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CALj2ACU4AdPCq6NLfcA-ZGwX7pPCK5FgEj-CAU0xCKzkASSy_A@mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/2aca19f2989aa938ece7306678f5494a984ece3f](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/2aca19f2989aa938ece7306678f5494a984ece3f)

- Refactor SASL code with a generic interface for its mechanisms. The code of
SCRAM and SASL have been tightly linked together since SCRAM exists in the
core code, making hard to apprehend the addition of new SASL mechanisms, but
these are by design different facilities, with SCRAM being an option for SASL.
This refactors the code related to both so as the backend and the frontend use
a set of callbacks for SASL mechanisms, documenting while on it what is
expected by anybody adding a new SASL mechanism. The separation between both
layers is neat, using two sets of callbacks for the frontend and the backend
to mark the frontier between both facilities. The shape of the callbacks is
now directly inspired from the routines used by SCRAM, so the code change is
straight-forward, and the SASL code is moved into its own set of files. These
will likely change depending on how and if new SASL mechanisms get added in
the future. Author: Jacob Champion Reviewed-by: Michael Paquier Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/3d2a6f5d50e741117d6baf83eb67ebf1a8a35a11.camel@vmware.com](https://postgr.es/m/3d2a6f5d50e741117d6baf83eb67ebf1a8a35a11.camel@vmware.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/9fd85570d179f10f93344d722005f7086b3c31ca](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/9fd85570d179f10f93344d722005f7086b3c31ca)

- Add forgotten LSN_FORMAT_ARGS() in xlogreader.c. These should have been part
of 4035cd5, that introduced LZ4 support for wal_compression.
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/0f80b47d24b470babd61f2d9927d1956075f771d](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/0f80b47d24b470babd61f2d9927d1956075f771d)

- Add more sanity checks in SASL exchanges. The following checks are added, to
make the SASL infrastructure more aware of defects when implementing new
mechanisms: - Detect that no output is generated by a mechanism if an exchange
fails in the backend, failing if there is a message waiting to be sent. -
Handle zero-length messages in the frontend. The backend handles that
already, and SCRAM would complain if sending empty messages as this is not
authorized for this mechanism, but other mechanisms may want this capability
(the SASL specification allows that). - Make sure that a mechanism generates a
message in the middle of the exchange in the frontend. SCRAM, as implemented,
respects all these requirements already, and the recent refactoring of SASL
done in 9fd8557 helps in documenting that in a cleaner way. Analyzed-by:
Jacob Champion Author: Michael Paquier Reviewed-by: Jacob Champion Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/3d2a6f5d50e741117d6baf83eb67ebf1a8a35a11.camel@vmware.com](https://postgr.es/m/3d2a6f5d50e741117d6baf83eb67ebf1a8a35a11.camel@vmware.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/44bd0126c70b5b90e8e2d604833a6476abbbffe6](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/44bd0126c70b5b90e8e2d604833a6476abbbffe6)

David Rowley pushed:

- Reduce the number of pallocs when building partition bounds. In each of the
`create_*_bound()` functions for LIST, RANGE and HASH partitioning, there were a
large number of palloc calls which could be reduced down to a much smaller
number. In each of these functions, an array was built so that we could qsort
it before making the PartitionBoundInfo. For LIST and HASH partitioning, an
array of pointers was allocated then each element was allocated within that
array. Since the number of items of each dimension is known beforehand, we
can just allocate a single chunk of memory for this. Similarly, with all
partition strategies, we're able to reduce the number of allocations to build
the ->datums field. This is an array of Datum pointers, but there's no need
for the Datums that each element points to to be singly allocated. One big
chunk will do. For RANGE partitioning, the PartitionBoundInfo->kind field can
get the same treatment. We can apply the same optimizations to
partition_bounds_copy(). Doing this might have a small effect on cache
performance when searching for the correct partition during partition pruning
or DML on a partitioned table. However, that's likely to be small and this is
mostly about reducing palloc overhead. Author: Nitin Jadhav, Justin Pryzby,
David Rowley Reviewed-by: Justin Pryzby, Zhihong Yu Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/flat/CAMm1aWYFTqEio3bURzZh47jveiHRwgQTiSDvBORczNEz2duZ1Q(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com](https://postgr.es/m/flat/CAMm1aWYFTqEio3bURzZh47jveiHRwgQTiSDvBORczNEz2duZ1Q(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/53d86957e980efa06f15232b8cff430d4cc6dd64](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/53d86957e980efa06f15232b8cff430d4cc6dd64)

- Fix typo in comment. Author: James Coleman Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/CAAaqYe8f8ENA0i1PdBtUNWDd2sxHSMgscNYbjhaXMuAdfBrZcg@mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CAAaqYe8f8ENA0i1PdBtUNWDd2sxHSMgscNYbjhaXMuAdfBrZcg@mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/9ee91cc583802c6507fbc31c348a79e63a10f956](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/9ee91cc583802c6507fbc31c348a79e63a10f956)

- Use a hash table to speed up NOT IN(values). Similar to 50e17ad28, which
allowed hash tables to be used for IN clauses with a set of constants, here we
add the same feature for NOT IN clauses. NOT IN evaluates the same as: WHERE
a <> v1 AND a <> v2 AND a <> v3. Obviously, if we're using a hash table we
must be exactly equivalent to that and return the same result taking into
account that either side of the condition could contain a NULL. This requires
a little bit of special handling to make work with the hash table version.
When processing NOT IN, the ScalarArrayOpExpr's operator will be the <>
operator. To be able to build and lookup a hash table we must use the <>'s
negator operator. The planner checks if that exists and is hashable and sets
the relevant fields in ScalarArrayOpExpr to instruct the executor to use
hashing. Author: David Rowley, James Coleman Reviewed-by: James Coleman,
Zhihong Yu Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/CAApHDvoF1mum_FRk6D621edcB6KSHBi2+GAgWmioj5AhOu2vwQ@mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CAApHDvoF1mum_FRk6D621edcB6KSHBi2+GAgWmioj5AhOu2vwQ@mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/29f45e299e7ffa1df0db44b8452228625479487f](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/29f45e299e7ffa1df0db44b8452228625479487f)

- Fix incorrect return value in pg_size_pretty(bigint). Due to how
pg_size_pretty(bigint) was implemented, it's possible that when given a
negative number of bytes that the returning value would not match the
equivalent positive return value when given the equivalent positive number of
bytes. This was due to two separate issues. 1. The function used bit
shifting to convert the number of bytes into larger units. The rounding
performed by bit shifting is not the same as dividing. For example -3 >> 1 =
-2, but -3 / 2 = -1. These two operations are only equivalent with positive
numbers. 2. The half_rounded() macro rounded towards positive infinity. This
meant that negative numbers rounded towards zero and positive numbers rounded
away from zero. Here we fix #1 by dividing the values instead of bit
shifting. We fix #2 by adjusting the half_rounded macro always to round away
from zero. Additionally, adjust the pg_size_pretty(numeric) function to be
more explicit that it's using division rather than bit shifting. A casual
observer might have believed bit shifting was used due to a static function
being named numeric_shift_right. However, that function was calculating the
divisor from the number of bits and performed division. Here we make that more
clear. This change is just cosmetic and does not affect the return value of
the numeric version of the function. Here we also add a set of regression
tests both versions of pg_size_pretty() which test the values directly before
and after the function switches to the next unit. This bug was introduced in
8a1fab36a. Prior to that negative values were always displayed in bytes.
Author: Dean Rasheed, David Rowley Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/CAEZATCXnNW4HsmZnxhfezR5FuiGgp+mkY4AzcL5eRGO4fuadWg@mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CAEZATCXnNW4HsmZnxhfezR5FuiGgp+mkY4AzcL5eRGO4fuadWg@mail.gmail.com)
Backpatch-through: 9.6, where the bug was introduced.
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/55fe609387685de1c754332e260b2d0e17d257dc](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/55fe609387685de1c754332e260b2d0e17d257dc)

- Use a lookup table for units in pg_size_pretty and pg_size_bytes. We've grown
2 versions of pg_size_pretty over the years, one for BIGINT and one for
NUMERIC. Both should output the same, but keeping them in sync is harder than
needed due to neither function sharing a source of truth about which units to
use and how to transition to the next largest unit. Here we add a static
array which defines the units that we recognize and have both pg_size_pretty
and pg_size_pretty_numeric use it. This will make adding any units in the
future a very simple task. The table contains all information required to
allow us to also modify pg_size_bytes to use the lookup table, so adjust that
too. There are no behavioral changes here. Author: David Rowley Reviewed-by:
Dean Rasheed, Tom Lane, David Christensen Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/CAApHDvru1F7qsEVL-iOHeezJ+5WVxXnyD_Jo9nht+Eh85ekK-Q@mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CAApHDvru1F7qsEVL-iOHeezJ+5WVxXnyD_Jo9nht+Eh85ekK-Q@mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/56ff8b29919f75a078969766393b9e20871a75c8](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/56ff8b29919f75a078969766393b9e20871a75c8)

- Teach pg_size_pretty and pg_size_bytes about petabytes. There was talk about
adding units all the way up to yottabytes but it seems quite far-fetched that
anyone would need those. Since such large units are not exactly commonplace,
it seems unlikely that having pg_size_pretty outputting unit any larger than
petabytes would actually be helpful to anyone. Since petabytes are on the
horizon, let's just add those only. Maybe one day we'll get to add additional
units, but it will likely be a while before we'll need to think beyond
petabytes in regards to the size of a database. Author: David Christensen
[https://postgr.es/m/CAOxo6XKmHc_WZip-x5QwaOqFEiCq_SVD0B7sbTZQk+qqcn2qaw@mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CAOxo6XKmHc_WZip-x5QwaOqFEiCq_SVD0B7sbTZQk+qqcn2qaw@mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/ca2e4472ba7b6e5e8cd8955eacffb90e4d88d085](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/ca2e4472ba7b6e5e8cd8955eacffb90e4d88d085)

Álvaro Herrera pushed:

- Improve TestLib::system_or_bail error reporting. The original coding was not
quoting the complete failing command, and it wasn't printing the reason for
the failure either. Do both. This is cosmetic only, so no backpatch.
Author: Álvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org> Reviewed-by: Tom Lane
<tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> Reviewed-by: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
[https://postgr.es/m/202106301524.eq5pblzstapj@alvherre.pgsql](https://postgr.es/m/202106301524.eq5pblzstapj@alvherre.pgsql)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/5798ca529935698ab976780565fb2b4d8d34d810](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/5798ca529935698ab976780565fb2b4d8d34d810)

- libpq: Fix sending queries in pipeline aborted state. When sending queries in
pipeline mode, we were careless about leaving the connection in the right
state so that PQgetResult would behave correctly; trying to read further
results after sending a query after having read a result with an error would
sometimes hang. Fix by ensuring internal libpq state is changed properly.
All the state changes were being done by the callers of
pqAppendCmdQueueEntry(); it would have become too repetitious to have this
logic in each of them, so instead put it all in that function and relieve
callers of the responsibility. Add a test to verify this case. Without the
code fix, this new test hangs sometimes. Also, document that PQisBusy() would
return false when no queries are pending result. This is not intuitively
obvious, and NULL would be obtained by calling PQgetResult() at that point,
which is confusing. Wording by Boris Kolpackov. In passing, fix bogus use of
"false" to mean "0", per Ranier Vilela. Backpatch to 14. Author: Álvaro
Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org> Reported-by: Boris Kolpackov
<boris(at)codesynthesis(dot)com> Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/boris.20210624103805@codesynthesis.com](https://postgr.es/m/boris.20210624103805@codesynthesis.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/ab09679429009bfed4bd894a6187afde0b7bdfcd](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/ab09679429009bfed4bd894a6187afde0b7bdfcd)

Fujii Masao pushed:

- postgres_fdw: Tighten up allowed values for batch_size, fetch_size options.
Previously the values such as '100$%$#$#', '9,223,372,' were accepted and
treated as valid integers for postgres_fdw options batch_size and fetch_size.
Whereas this is not the case with fdw_startup_cost and fdw_tuple_cost options
for which an error is thrown. This was because endptr was not used while
converting strings to integers using strtol. This commit changes the logic so
that it uses parse_int function instead of strtol as it serves the purpose by
returning false in case if it is unable to convert the string to integer. Note
that this function also rounds off the values such as '100.456' to 100 and
'100.567' or '100.678' to 101. While on this, use parse_real for
fdw_startup_cost and fdw_tuple_cost options. Since parse_int and parse_real
are being used for reloptions and GUCs, it is more appropriate to use in
postgres_fdw rather than using strtol and strtod directly. Back-patch to v14.
Author: Bharath Rupireddy Reviewed-by: Ashutosh Bapat, Tom Lane, Kyotaro
Horiguchi, Fujii Masao Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/CALj2ACVMO6wY5Pc4oe1OCgUOAtdjHuFsBDw8R5uoYR86eWFQDA@mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CALj2ACVMO6wY5Pc4oe1OCgUOAtdjHuFsBDw8R5uoYR86eWFQDA@mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/d854720df6df68cfe1432342e33c9e3020572a51](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/d854720df6df68cfe1432342e33c9e3020572a51)

- doc: Fix description about pg_stat_statements.track_planning. This commit
fixes wrong wording like "a fewer kinds" in the description about
track_planning option. Back-patch to v13 where
pg_stat_statements.track_planning was added. Author: Justin Pryzby
Reviewed-by: Julien Rouhaud, Fujii Masao Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/20210418233615.GB7256@telsasoft.com](https://postgr.es/m/20210418233615.GB7256@telsasoft.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/9d2a7757347cb1adb48599fce4dcde0f1fc9e9ae](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/9d2a7757347cb1adb48599fce4dcde0f1fc9e9ae)

Daniel Gustafsson pushed:

- Fix typos in pgstat.c, reorderbuffer.c and pathnodes.h. Reviewed-by: Thomas
Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com> Reviewed-by: Michael Paquier
<michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/50250765-5B87-4AD7-9770-7FCED42A6175@yesql.se](https://postgr.es/m/50250765-5B87-4AD7-9770-7FCED42A6175@yesql.se)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/387925893edf2a3a30a8ddf2c6474d8a7eb056a5](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/387925893edf2a3a30a8ddf2c6474d8a7eb056a5)

Thomas Munro pushed:

- Remove more obsolete comments about semaphores. Commit 6753333f stopped using
semaphores as the sleep/wake mechanism for heavyweight locks, but some
obsolete references to that scheme remained in comments. As with similar
commit 25b93a29, back-patch all the way. Reviewed-by: Daniel Gustafsson
<daniel(at)yesql(dot)se> Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/CA%2BhUKGLafjB1uzXcy%3D%3D2L3cy7rjHkqOVn7qRYGBjk%3D%3DtMJE7Yg%40mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CA%2BhUKGLafjB1uzXcy%3D%3D2L3cy7rjHkqOVn7qRYGBjk%3D%3DtMJE7Yg%40mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/2f783380641db4cc598acd108186a446e4919290](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/2f783380641db4cc598acd108186a446e4919290)

- Fix pgbench timestamp bugs. Commit 547f04e changed pgbench to use microsecond
accounting, but introduced a couple of logging and aggregation bugs: 1. We
print Unix epoch timestamps so that you can correlate them with other logs,
but these were inadvertently changed to use a system-dependent reference
epoch. Compute Unix timestamps, and begin aggregation intervals on the
boundaries of whole Unix epoch seconds, as before. 2. The user-supplied
aggregation interval needed to be scaled. Back-patch to 14. Author: Fabien
COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr> Author: Yugo NAGATA <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp> Author:
Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com> Reported-by: YoungHwan Joo
<rulyox(at)gmail(dot)com> Reported-by: Gregory Smith <gregsmithpgsql(at)gmail(dot)com>
[https://postgr.es/m/CAF7igB1r6wRfSCEAB-iZBKxkowWY6%2BdFF2jObSdd9%2BiVK%2BvHJg%40mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CAF7igB1r6wRfSCEAB-iZBKxkowWY6%2BdFF2jObSdd9%2BiVK%2BvHJg%40mail.gmail.com)
[https://postgr.es/m/CAHLJuCW_8Vpcr0%3Dt6O_gozrg3wXXWXZXDioYJd3NhvKriqgpfQ%40mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CAHLJuCW_8Vpcr0%3Dt6O_gozrg3wXXWXZXDioYJd3NhvKriqgpfQ%40mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/0e39a608ed5545cc6b9d538ac937c3c1ee8cdc36](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/0e39a608ed5545cc6b9d538ac937c3c1ee8cdc36)

Jeff Davis pushed:

- Eliminate replication protocol error related to IDENTIFY_SYSTEM. The
requirement that IDENTIFY_SYSTEM be run before START_REPLICATION was both
undocumented and unnecessary. Remove the error and ensure that ThisTimeLineID
is initialized in START_REPLICATION. Elect not to backport because this
requirement was expected behavior (even if inconsistently enforced), and is
not likely to cause any major problem. Author: Jeff Davis Reviewed-by: Andres
Freund Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/de4bbf05b7cd94227841c433ea6ff71d2130c713.camel%40j-davis.com](https://postgr.es/m/de4bbf05b7cd94227841c433ea6ff71d2130c713.camel%40j-davis.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/8e7811e952b4e0993330f7ac1fb1448a1ca69b9a](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/8e7811e952b4e0993330f7ac1fb1448a1ca69b9a)

- Fix assign_record_type_typmod(). If an error occurred in the wrong place, it
was possible to leave an unintialized entry in the hash table, leading to a
crash. Fixed. Also, be more careful about the order of operations so that an
allocation error doesn't leak memory in CacheMemoryContext or unnecessarily
advance NextRecordTypmod. Backpatch through version 11. Earlier versions
(prior to 35ea75632a5) do not exhibit the problem, because an uninitialized
hash entry contains a valid empty list. Author: Sait Talha Nisanci
<Sait(dot)Nisanci(at)microsoft(dot)com> Reviewed-by: Andres Freund Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/HE1PR8303MB009069D476225B9A9E194B8891779@HE1PR8303MB0090.EURPRD83.prod.outlook.com](https://postgr.es/m/HE1PR8303MB009069D476225B9A9E194B8891779@HE1PR8303MB0090.EURPRD83.prod.outlook.com)
Backpatch-through: 11
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/dd0e37cc1598050ec38fa289908487d4f5c96dca](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/dd0e37cc1598050ec38fa289908487d4f5c96dca)

# Pending Patches

Jie Zhang sent in a patch to make libpq's PQsendFlushRequest return 0 as
documented instead of false as coded.

Gilles Darold sent in another revision of a patch to add new events
XACT_EVENT_COMMAND_START and SUBXACT_EVENT_COMMAND_START that can be caught in
the xact callbacks when a new command is to be executed.

Ranier Vilela sent in a patch to fix a possible uninitialized variable
declaration in src/backend/utils/adt/varlena.c.

Ronan Dunklau and Ranier Vilela traded patches to allow Sort nodes to use the
fast "single datum" tuplesort.

Andrey V. Lepikhov sent in two more revisions of a patch to teach the optimizer
to consider partitionwise join of non-partitioned tables with each partition of
partitioned table, and disallow the asymmetric machinery for joining of two
partitioned (or appended) relations because it could cause huge consumption of
CPU and memory during reparameterization of the NestLoop path.

Victor Spirin sent in two revisions of a patch to make renames on Windows
atomic.

Peter Smith sent in a patch to add more subtlety to psql's tab completion of
CREATE PUBLICATION.

Amit Langote sent in another revision of a patch to export
get_partition_for_tuple(), and use same to avoid using SPI for some RI checks.

Hou Zhijie sent in another revision of a patch to make it possible to annotate a
table as safely allowing (or not) parallel DML, use same in making it possible
to use parallel queries in INSERT ... SELECT, and add a
pg_get_table_parallel_dml_safety(regclass) function.

Dilip Kumar sent in a patch to make CREATE DATABASE a WAL logged action in order
to avert the checkpoints and storm of writes that made the previous
implementation burdensome.

Zeng Wenjing sent in a patch to check for synchronous standbys earlier.

Vigneshwaran C sent in another revision of a patch to Identify missing
publications from publisher during CREATE/ALTER SUBSCRIPTION.

Dipesh Pandit sent in a patch to mitigate the O(N^2) directory scan in the WAL
archiver by maintaining the log segment number of current file which is being
archived and incrementing it by '1' to get the next WAL file.

Justin Pryzby sent in a patch to add some ASSERTIONs in procarray.c, and add a
new oldest-transaction-id optional argument to pg_resetwal.c.

Gilles Darold sent in three more revisions of a patch to add pushdown for CASE
clauses to the PostgreSQL FDW.

Bharath Rupireddy and Peter Smith traded patches to make the
parse_subscription_options function responsible for zapping the SubOpts param
up-front, instead of hoping the caller will do it, and remove redundant
condition checks for "supported_opts" where we already know the option must be
supported.

Ajin Cherian, Amit Kapila, and Peter Smith traded patches to add support for
prepared transactions to logical replication.

Vigneshwaran C sent in two more revisions of a patch to enhance error messages
to include the option name in case of duplicate option errors.

Greg Nancarrow sent in another revision of a patch to add a new
"client_connection" event and client connection trigger support for same.

Gurjeet Singh sent in a patch to state explicitly that --sync-only does not
modify data.

Kyotaro HORIGUCHI sent in a patch to make FPI_FOR_HINT follow standard FPI
emitting policy.

David Rowley sent in another revision of a patch to remove useless int64 range
checks on BIGINT sequence MINVALUE/MAXVALUE values.

Bharath Rupireddy sent in another revision of a patch to improve publication
error messages by being more specific about the reason an object can't be added
to same.

Andy Fan sent in another revision of a patch to expand the way uniqueness is
used in the planner.

Gurjeet Singh sent in a patch to issue a warning when initdb's --sync-only
option is mixed with other options.

Dean Rasheed sent in another revision of a patch to fix a loss-of-precision bug
and prevent some overflow errors in exponentiation on the NUMERIC type.

Bruce Momjian sent in three more revisions of a patch to fix a bug that
corrupted the visibility map.

Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker sent in a patch to use the `l*_node()` family of
functions where appropriate.

Li Japin and Ranier Vilela traded patches to validate slot_name in
parse_subscription_options.

Yugo Nagata sent in another revision of a patch to avert some pgbench errors.

Euler Taveira de Oliveira and Greg Nancarrow traded patches to implement row
filtering for logical replication.

Takamichi Osumi sent in a patch to fix a bug that manifested as failed
transaction statistics to measure logical replication progress.

Fabien COELHO sent in two more revisions of a patch to replace rand48 with a
better PRNG.

Masahiko Sawada sent in a patch to clarify the documentation of ALTER
SUBSCRIPTION with respect to the refresh_option option.

Robert Haas sent in another revision of a patch to refactor basebackup.c

Seino Yuki sent in a patch to track statistics for materialized views.

Georgios Kokolatos sent in another revision of a patch to teach pg_receivewal to
use lz4 compression.

Kyotaro HORIGUCHI sent in two revisions of a patch to be strict about rejecting
that invalid numeric parameters on the command line, and complain about same in
environment variables that are supposed to be numeric.

Alexander Lakhin and Michaël Paquier traded patches to fix pg_ls_dir.

Quan Zongliang sent in four revisions of a patch to fix a bug that caused the
function page_header of pageinspect to return negative numbers when the
blocksize is 32k.

Bharath Rupireddy sent in another revision of a patch to disambiguate error
messages that use "non-negative".

Atsushi Torikoshi sent in another revision of a patch to add a function to log
the untruncated query string and its plan for the query currently running on the
backend with the specified process ID.

Hou Zhijie sent in another revision of a patch to add schema level support for
publication.

Bertrand Drouvot sent in another revision of a patch to fix a bug that
manifested as logical decoding of relation rewrite with toast does not reset
toast_hash.

Georgios Kokolatos sent in a patch to test gzip compression in pg_receivewal.

Pavel Borisov sent in another revision of a patch to automatically generate
partitions by LIST and HASH.

Amul Sul sent in another revision of a patch to add a RelationGetSmgr inline
function.

David Rowley sent in another revision of a patch to track non-pruned partitions
in RelOptInfo, and allow ordered partition scans in more cases.

Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker sent in a patch to add tab completion for CREATE SCHEMA
to psql.

Zhihong Yu sent in a patch to shorten the test for needed columns in
find_hash_columns().

Nathan Bossart sent in another revision of a patch to pre-allocate WAL segments.

Tomáš Vondra sent in another revision of a patch to make it possible to dump
functions alone in pg_dump.

Peifeng Qiu sent in a patch to support kerberos authentication for postgres_fdw.

Erik Rijkers sent in a patch to include JSON operations as candidates for JIT
compilation.

Fabien COELHO sent in another revision of a patch to factor out the echo code in
psql.

David Rowley sent in a patch to change the name of the Result Cache node to
Memoize.

Soumyadeep Chakraborty sent in another revision of a patch to display length and
bounds histograms in pg_stats.

Ranier Vilela sent in a patch to protect against possible memory corruption
src/backend/access/nbtree/nbtxlog.c by checking the maximum limit of array
items.

Thomas Munro sent in another revision of a patch to add a PSQL_WATCH_PAGER
setting for psql's \watch command.